Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Being ill whilst pregnant??

(13 Posts)
xmasevebundle Mon 01-Oct-12 21:43:01

Im 28w and feel like death.

I have the worst sore throat, which i think is tonsilaties! Cold shivers too.

Keep on coughing up green flem(sorry if tmi), hardly ate today due to my throat is killing me, making an appointment for the doctors tomorrow.

Is there any safe ways to soothe a sore throat during pregnancy?

Having some warm honey but it still not helpingsad

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Mon 01-Oct-12 21:47:25

Sucking squares of chocolate is good - a one-off won't kill your teeth!

Paracaetemol is fine to take.

weegiemum Mon 01-Oct-12 21:48:05

Paracetamol is safe at your stage but do stay away from ibuprofen, it can affect the development of the circulation. But taking paracetamol and thus reducing pain (therefore stress hormones) and reducing your temp is good.

I had a serious painful kidney condition caused by pregnancy. I'll always love the pain doctor who sat me down and said "mrs Weegie, if you want to do the best for your baby, look after yourself. Take the medicine (and the medicine was morphine!). But she was 100% ok and I got better.

Look after yourself. And all the best xxx

PetiteRaleuse Mon 01-Oct-12 21:48:39

Paracetamol and hot drinks. There are some over the counter throat sweets you can get but I am not sure what they would be called in the UK - ask at your pharmacy. If you think it is tonsillitis you should go to your doctor.

Oh, just seen you're going tomorrow. Paracetamol then tonight. I think you can go up to 3g in a 24 hour period during pregnancy. It was all I had during my recent three week long cold...

xmasevebundle Mon 01-Oct-12 21:53:00

I have taken paracetamol all day, i cant even sleep my throat is on fire.

Worried it will effect the baby, got my bloods and my anti-d tomorrow.

Feel something is wrong, maybe im paranoidsad

zigwig Mon 01-Oct-12 21:56:13

Hot chocolate always helps me when mine is bad.

Im just getting over a vomiting bug and the cold. Im 35 weeks.

You can have lockets. But NOT lemsip. I found lockets gave me heartburn (what doesnt?) so then I had to drink cold milk which helps. I have single handedly drank 6 litres of milk since thurs shock

I constantly worried about the baby. Thinking something was wrong. But the kicks are the same as usual. Try not to worry!

Runningblue Mon 01-Oct-12 22:23:40

Coughing up green flem can be sign of infection, so perhaps a visit to docs in order? I had a chest infection in first preg and ended up on antibiotics- which were fine to take.
Have you tried manuka honey- having a teaspoon of it to soothe your throat- has really good soothing and healing properties. They sell it v expensively in health food shops and supermarkets- but also for I think £3.99 in aldi!

Ash16 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:57:30

My girlfriend is 23 weeks pregnant and she's got a sore throat she's coughing loads she feels sick and she's got a temperature what dose she do.

Ash16 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:58:48

And she's got a shooting pain in her back and lower belly

Rosetree123 Wed 08-Mar-17 23:11:56

Hi, I have the exact same problem just now, its horrible! Unable to sleep and ive now got earache added to it, dont think i can cope much longer. Doctor said I've just to take paracetamol n ride it out sad I've been drinking lemon and ginger tea with manuka honey and I've ordered apple cider vinegar that's coming tomorrow it's meant to help with throat and sinus problems.

kikibo Thu 09-Mar-17 11:14:47

Honey in general is good to soothe throats, especially the creamed kind because it coats your throat so it lasts longer fending off the irritation.

Hot lemon juice (and water) with honey is also good, but maybe that'll give you heartburn.

Scotmum83 Thu 09-Mar-17 11:46:42

You'd need to double check if ok but I use corsydyl mouth wash for sore throats, just gargle a couple times a day. Gargling Salty water is also good. Usually gets better quite quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now