Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Medication for morning sickness

(7 Posts)
RTchoke Mon 01-Oct-12 20:52:40

i am so sick. Tomorrow I will cry at the GP. If it's anything like my last pregnancy the GP will refuse me meds on the grounds none are proven safe. But I know loads of women are prescribed such meds and this time I'm inclined to insist.

So what meds are effective and what research is there on their safety? Personal experiences would be welcomed.

Paradisefound Mon 01-Oct-12 20:58:36

My GP was hopeless. In the end I phoned my early pregnancy unit. As I couldn't and hadn't kept anything down for a while they recommended going to a& e and was admitted to gynae / pregnancy ward. Now I am known to them I now just go to the epu, the drs/consultants know how to treat severe morning sickness.

If you just feel sick but aren't actually being sick, most drs will say don't take any meds because there is always a risk.

terilou87 Mon 01-Oct-12 21:14:57

i had morning sickness tablets but had to be prescribed them after a trip to a and e because my doctor like yours wouldnt prescribe anything bar paracetemol/co codomol. any way, when i did eventually get the tablets they were worse than useless. they had no effect on my m/s at all. then my partner being the health freek he is made me drink a green tea and fresh ginger drink. i hate ginger he said ginger settles stomachs or something along them lines, so i decided it has to be better then throwing up all the time and feeling ill so i drank it and around 15 minuits after i felt ok still couldnt eat hardly anything but i didnt feel like throwing up

NellyBluth Mon 01-Oct-12 21:22:14

Cyclizine and Stemetil. Both wonderful, both fine, both regularly prescribed. Cry, have hysterics, if that fails see another doctor. If that fails phone your midwife and get advice. And it that fails, buy some of those ketone strips you can use at home and the moment they show you are dehydrated go to A&E.

Morning sickness or extreme nausea is no joke. Don't give up, try everyone you can think of until you get prescribed something. Good luck.

cuppateaandagingersnap Mon 01-Oct-12 21:28:54

Poor you, lots of antisickness medications - antiemetics- are safe in pregnancy and in fact safer than dehydration which results from severe ms or hg. Promethazine (Phenergan), prochlorperazine( Buccastem/stemitil), metoclopramide and cyclizine are all safe in pregnancy and are widely used. If the GP is disinclined may be worth asking them to phone the early pregnancy unit for advice.

Inneedofbrandy Mon 01-Oct-12 21:32:42

The ones I was prescribed were also for migraine's. I could take 3 a day, they tasted vile but did work. Not 100% but I was able to get out of bed without puking. I didn't have any problem getting them, just said I couldn't cope with other dc whith my head stuck down the toilet!

BuntyCollocks Tue 02-Oct-12 07:19:45

I started on cyclizine, which did nothing for me, before moving to avomine, which worked to a degree. It is miserable, I feel for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now