Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby (30 weeks pg) has big tummy

(5 Posts)
wildpoppy Mon 01-Oct-12 20:48:54

Like mother like baby...
Had extra scan last week as baby is measuring big. Was told the baby's tummy is on the upper end of what is considered normal but still within normal parameters.
Don't worry they said, we're not, especially as my GTT (diabetes) test was normal

Now I'm worrying. Talk to me...

McPhee Mon 01-Oct-12 20:59:21

This brings back memories. I was told the exact same thing at one of my scans, and had to go back for a further check at 36 weeks. Has this been offered to you? We worried as well, and googled hmm DON'T DO THAT! I put the fear of god in to myself, and it's never a good idea.

I was carrying a lot of excess fluid, so thought the worst with regards to it being something serious. If it had been, then further investigation would have been done. And yes Dd did have a big tummy when she was born, but it turned out it was only because her tummy walls weren't knitted together properly. It's caused her no problems, and rights itself with growth.

wildpoppy Mon 01-Oct-12 22:14:08

Thanks McPhee. They said the amniotic fluid also at the upper end of normal but within normal parameters and that this goes with big belly because big belly babies pee a lot hence more fluid. Again said not worried.

Scan at 33 weeks (they offer a routine 34 week scan at my hospital and we just happen to have an appt a week early). So that's in four weeks time.
My daughter has a kidney problem (under control) and this babies kidneys look fine but I am now worried that I don't make healthy babies.

Bryzoan Mon 01-Oct-12 22:36:44

I'm in a similar place. Had a 32 week scan because dd1 was prem, and was told all is looking well though head and femur are just below the 50th centile and tummy is up at 95th. Consultant obstetrician wasn't concerned, doesn't want more scans and says he thinks there is no need for a gtt. He says the baby is just a bit tubby. Dd1 has had a few health issues and it does make me worry.

TeaandHobnobs Mon 01-Oct-12 22:40:42

DS' abdominal circumference was huge at all scans - in fact, at one (20 weeks I think) the sonographer retook the measurement as the first one was off the scale. Nobody was concerned though.
Yes he was born with a massive belly in relation to the rest of him, but he was 8 weeks early so very scrawny otherwise. He looked more in proportion after a few months smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now