Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tea tree oil in bath during pregnancy?

(8 Posts)

I've been suffering with thrush and thought tea tree oil in the bath would help sooth it, but it says not to use in pregnancy.

Does anyone know why? Or if it's just to cover their arses? Or because it can't be tested on pregnant women, but is likely to be ok?

Thanks in advance!

dieciocho Tue 02-Oct-12 09:52:02

I used it in the bath in my 1st trimester - it did nothing to clear up the thrush and seemingly nothing to harm my bump as my 20-week scan results were all normal.

And live yoghurt didn't work either.
Buy/get a prescription for a pessary or cream. I checked with MW and they're both safe, despite what the box says - they're just covering their arses.

Thanks

HaveALittleFaith Wed 03-Oct-12 09:12:27

I've found taking probiotics the best way of getting on top of thrush to be honest - helps with the Constipation too! When I worked on a gynae word most women used to bring in badedas bath stuff which is meant to be gentle and soothing!

Thank you I shall look into that. Will natural bio yoghurt do the same as a probiotic?

HaveALittleFaith Wed 03-Oct-12 10:18:00

I think so - anything that helps your own bacteria. I had to switch to the drinks because the thought of yoghurt has made me nauseous since getting pregnant!

OhChristFENTON Wed 03-Oct-12 10:20:37

When I was pregnant with DS1 the pregnancy magazines were recommending the use of Tea Tree oil in the bath, so, erm confused

Ah I assume it's the old 'can't be tested on pregnant women do we must say its unsuitable' then. I used it last night and small alien like creature in my stomach is still bouncing around so I think it's ok confused

It did help soothe for a while so I shall continue.

Oh and havealittlefaith I hate milk do think a probiotic drink would do me in but two valley do a lovely bio yoghurt with honey <drools>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now