Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If you were induced for your first labour, what was your second/subsequent labour like?

(11 Posts)
Dualta Mon 01-Oct-12 16:09:15

Hi there - just curious to know what peoples' experiences of labour were like for second/subsequent babies if they were induced the first time. I was induced (gel and ARM but not syntocinon) for my DS and due to high bloodpressure the labour was very fast and furious - 1hr 15mins from 1cm to delivery, with about 4 hours of waiting for gel/ARM to kick in. Ended up ventouse and episiotomy due to the speed he needed to be born.

I'm expecting no.2 and am wondering what sort of labour to prepare for - inasmuch as you can expect anything with childbirth!!

So I'd love to know what advice/experiences you can share.

Thanks, Dualta.

ouryve Mon 01-Oct-12 16:11:35

Long, slow, frustrating induction for the first. I had very high blood pressure, was very swollen everywhere, including down there and he wasn't facing the way he was meant to be going (and nothing has changed there!)

Didn't even make it to hospital the second time. My waters broke on the loo and DS2 fell out.

artifarti Mon 01-Oct-12 16:14:55

Long, slow, painful for DS1 with every known form of pain relief imaginable. Got to 9cm but EMCS after 48 hours.

With DS2 went into spontaneous labour - 4 hours from first contraction to birth.

terilou87 Mon 01-Oct-12 16:16:49

i was induced with first and it was a very long labour i only progressed to 5cm then had to have a c sec. with no 2 my waters broke at 11 am very strait forward labour and gave birth at 7.50 pm same with 3rd very strait forward started early labour 8pm ish went to bed as pain wasnt too bad then woke at 5 am went to hospital got there for 6:30 and gave birth 7:27am smile

NorbertDentressangle Mon 01-Oct-12 16:21:51

When I was induced it was like 0-60mph in 2 seconds! ie. from nothing it was very sudden, very quick, very intense.

With my second, my waters broke but not a lot happened for the rest of the night, just an occasional twinge. In the morning the midwife said to go for a walk but I'd hardly got to the end of the corridor when the contractions started -within 2 hours I'd had DS! So, again, fairly quick and sudden.

Milliways Mon 01-Oct-12 16:22:36

Long horrible induced labour with DD, 6lb 2oz

DS arrived in around 1hr, just got to hospital in time. Only ONE push needed and his head was out. 9lb 6oz

PeppaTwig Mon 01-Oct-12 17:38:40

Ooh I'm loving this thread. I had an horrendous induction with first dc and going straight to cs this time if I go more than 12 days over. Desperately want a vbac though... Sounds hopeful!

artifarti Mon 01-Oct-12 17:40:59

Peppa - I was also booked for an ELCS at 12 days overdue. DS2 turned up with 4 hours to spare! (DS1 was 14 days over when induced). So it's perfectly possible. Good luck smile

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 01-Oct-12 17:44:57

I was induced with gel and had 3 doses iirc. Induced for being overdue, labour lasted 15 hours officially I think. Needed epidural and had a 3 hour pushing stage with a back to back baby who didn't turn.
Second time I wanted to avoid induction, went just as long overdue but went into a spontaneous 3 hour labour, just 8 minutes of pushing.
Third time I was induced again (I seem to brew my babies for a long time but I was at the end of my tether really) and had the propess pessary which hurt me a lot actually. I spent much of the day in tears, combination of emotional hormonal wreck and agonising pain in my bits blush Once my labour started though, was 40 minutes, never unmanagable and he was out in 2 pushes.
I totally understand wanting to avoid intervention. My first induction was as intervention filled as you can get. But I actually don't distinguish between my two other labours. Only one was spontaneous, but to me, both were 'natural' births in as much as I stayed upright, in control with a whiff of gas and air, and was better prepared. makes me sad to think of what might have been had my first labour been managed a little better. Recovery for the last 2 was nothign like the first either, I truly was up and doing the school run the next day, and feeling fine.
Good luck smile

MrsJohnDeere Mon 01-Oct-12 17:52:29

Induced at 38 weeks with dc1. Few hours for the gel to kick in (1 dose) then a 5 hour labur.

Dc2 - waters broken to bring on labour at 41+4, in labour within 30 mins, lasted 1 hour.

No problems, no interventions needed.

Faxthatpam Mon 01-Oct-12 18:11:30

Peppa - no two are the same ime. I was induced at 40+15 with DS1, long process ending in ventouse, spinal block and giant forceps delivery. Couldn't sit down for a month. With DS2 went into labour on due date and it was long and slow but pushed him out the next day. DS3 induced again at 40+8 and this time was very fast, painful and his shoulder got stuck so the swat team arrived. It was very scary. Because of this when I had DS4 - an accident 8 yrs later - I was advised to have ELCS, which was fine but afterwards was horrible - hated not being able to lift him. DS1 is 19 and DS4 is nearly 5 so all a bit hazy but as I said, all v different experiences and there is every chance of vbac after induction. Completely agree with Fuckity's last para.
They are all gorgeous once they're out - Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now