Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is Zumba safe after first trimester?

(9 Posts)
Hippolyta20 Mon 01-Oct-12 15:36:32

Can anyone help advise if Zumba is ok after 3 months? I have missed it for a few weeks (due to morning sickness/tiredness/life) but really want to start going back.

I am 12 weeks tomorrow and a bit worried as I know there is twisting and that you use your tummy muscles and I am struggling to figure out if that is a good thing or not?

I have stayed fairly active otherwise (have to with work and a dog to walk, house to clean etc).

Any thoughts ladies?

Hippolyta20 Mon 01-Oct-12 17:13:55

shamless "bump". Class tomorrow, ok to go?

CailinDana Mon 01-Oct-12 17:23:06

If you have no particular risks in your pregnancy then it should be fine. You're usually advised to keep up whatever exercise you're used to, but not to increase it and not to continue if you start to feel unwell.

A couple of things to remember though:
Plenty of water - you get dehydrated more easily when pregnant
Stock up on food beforehand to reduce the likelihood of feeling faint
If you're feeling very hot and sweaty or particularly breathless, sit down for a while - your BP can be a bit funny when pg and can shoot up or down without much warning
You're more likely to suffer strains and sprains when pg because your ligaments are loosened due to the hormones, so don't overdo it smile

HarlettOScara Mon 01-Oct-12 17:25:22

I know an instructor who was still taking classes up to her 7th month of pregnancy so must be safe enough as long as you're sensible, keep hydrated and listen to your body.

Hippolyta20 Mon 01-Oct-12 17:37:19

Thank you. Sounds like it should be ok.

First time (pg) so probably being over cautious!

berri Mon 01-Oct-12 19:32:05

Yes it's fine - docs just say don't take anything up from scratch and don't let yourself get overly out of breath or hot.

Enjoy it!

I am 29 weeks and still zumba once a week. My instructor has advised, no tummy pumping, eat 2 hours before class, drink lots of water. And listen to my body.

Personally I haven't been able to put my arms above my head for a whole so all arm movements are done at shoulder height, I also can't do any jumpy/bouncy stuff anymore but that's only been the last few weeks as it makes me need a wee! blush

And also don't feel afraid to sit out if you need to. I sit out a whole song about halfway through the hour to get my breathe back properly.

Enjoy!

mynameisalexdrake Tue 02-Oct-12 01:46:53

I did about 9 hours of zumba a week before pregnancy. Personally i couldn't keep it up after 16 weeks, far too knackering! As has been said before though, the advice is to not start a new fitness regime in pregnancy, but ok to continue what you've been doing, with sensible modifications! So no real twist and turns, knees up too high etc.

I disagree with a poster above though who said to sit out dances if tired / breathless. Please dont do this, bad advice! Taking time out from full on dancing is fine, move to the side, but stay active - march on the spot. Zumba is geared around warm up / cardio / cool down. Stopping through the cardio for a song or two can leave you more prone to an injury, especially through pregnancy.

PeshwariNaan Tue 02-Oct-12 07:56:57

I did Zumba before I got pregnant and I must have had an intense instructor, because I found it extremely challenging. I'd advise you to talk to your instructor about being pregnant. She will probably advise you to go low-impact (less jumping/ bouncing). Make sure you stay hydrated. Personally there's no way I could do anything like that while pregnant, but everyone's different! good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now