Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Last week of pregnancy, achey, tired, fed up and BIT scared of having actual baby - just me?

(13 Posts)
Spice17 Mon 01-Oct-12 12:45:08

Hi all

Just that really, been very chilled all throughout pregnancy (not like me at all - it's been good for me) but am now having slight panics about baby actually being here and me being a Mum!

It's not really the labour - although I'll admit those fears are more real now, it's more the fact that once she's here I'm her world and she's my total responsibility but I do really want her. Also, a bit scared I won't look at her and love her (this is a bit irrational)

I was dying to meet her at 36 weeks, now a bit scared. Is this common/normal?

TIA smile

EthelredOnAGoodDay Mon 01-Oct-12 13:10:17

I would say it's very common! I remember feeling totally overwhelmed when we brought DD home, but nearly 3 years on we are all still here, in one piece and doing ok really! I'm sure it will all be fine, good luck!!

shittingit Mon 01-Oct-12 13:55:53

It's v common, I remember with my first I alternated between sheer unadulterated excitement to feeling completely overwhelmed at the thought of being responsible for this little person. DC is 3 now and still feel a bit weird about being a mum and whether I'm doing it right (also v common) but she's here, we got through it and so will you.
39 weeks with no'2 now and shitting it about labour (long story) tired and fedup of being pregnant and symptom spotting like mad so I've obviously taken it in my stride this time around (not).

Good luck hope baby makes an appearance doon.

AnneH656 Mon 01-Oct-12 14:06:41

me too!! DD is 9 and i have started to realise that i am actually having a BABY - despite it being planned...

not to mention terrified about getting him out.

you are not alone! we will all come out of the other side fine smile

ThreeWheelsGood Mon 01-Oct-12 15:27:15

Phew, this is how I feel too! Feel prepared for labour but not for the massive responsibility afterwards. I'm exhausted and know it'll be massively tiring having a newborn, I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I think one thing I have to get my head round is that the pregnancy and birth is all down to me/my body, but DH can and will be able to help with the baby!

Spice17 Mon 01-Oct-12 17:21:44

Thanks ladies, feel a bit better knowing it's not just me.

On one hand I'm counting down the days (GET OUT, GET OUT!) and on the other I'm thinking, stay in a bit longer I'm not sure I'm ready to feel sore and shattered just yet smile

CailinDana Mon 01-Oct-12 17:29:10

It might be a comfort to know that I felt absolutely fantastic after I had my DS, far far better than I did when I was pregnant. I was absolutely knackered in the last few weeks of pregnancy and I was really worried that I wouldn't cope with a newborn but it was such a relief having him out and healthy and I was just so in love with him that I was on top of the world. I did get a touch of the blues and had a few panics about looking after him but overall it was a great experience. It is tiring having a newborn but not in the same way as being pregnant - rather than just being knackered you're knackered for a reason and you have the compensation of having a lovely newborn to cuddle and sniff smile

It is hard work, definitely, but it's brilliant too. Good luck grin

whatsoever Mon 01-Oct-12 23:25:50

Not alone OP, I feel like this, but with the addition of feeling nervous about labour too.

My due date is Thursday, I feel exhausted, in pain & glum much of the time but I feel like I've lot my confidence in terms of the birth & looking after a baby afterwards too so I'm in a limbo of desperately wanting the baby to arrive & not believing I can cope.

Orenishii Tue 02-Oct-12 07:55:01

All normal, I reckon! I am 38 weeks and have been the driving force for starting a family, and I've had so many wobbles, it's not even funny!

Generally feeling very positive about the birth but last night, DH hugged me really tightly and I read it as him thinking I would die!

<---- crazy.

Spice17 Tue 02-Oct-12 09:16:01

Whatsoever couldn't have put it better myself 'I feel like I've lost my confidence in terms of the birth & looking after a baby afterwards too so I'm in a limbo of desperately wanting the baby to arrive & not believing I can cope'.

All of a sudden I feel unsure, where before I talked the talk and suprised (and quietly congratulated) myself on how good I was feeling about it all including labour. I even feel weird about driving this week, like I'm not sure I can cope with it iyswim? Odd.

Looks like lots of people feel/felt the same though and Cailin's story is a very lovely and reassuing one. Basically I'm scared but sure I'll be fine when she's here. Also, DH VERY excited now which is lovely - though not sure if it's the prospect of having 2 weeks off work! smile

Goldrill Tue 02-Oct-12 12:44:49

It sounds like a sensible reaction to me! I'm 38+5 with DD2 and getting to the point of really not wanting it to happen: I am really uncomfortable (a lot worse than with first) and so want it over, but labour was not pretty last time and am having a panic about lovely toddler feeling left out as well as the sheer drudgery of looking after a newborn.

Last time I felt something very similar though, and because I've had depression in the past I assumed I would certainly get PND (I am such a happy soul sometimes!), and not be able to cope, and it would all be dreadful. And labour was far, far worse than I had ever imagined. And then I had a kip and I felt absolutely fine - and I kept feeling fine; I held my breath slightly all through the bit where the baby blues are expected to turn up, but no - nothing at all - everything was really, genuinely ok and stayed that way. We coped; we got the hang of stuff and we now have a very groovy little toddler who is the best thing ever. You WILL be ok.

It's a bloody big thing we're about to go through; perhaps it would be a bit odd if everyone was always brimming over with confidence.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 02-Oct-12 15:34:47

There have been 750 squillion people born since the dawn of time. Im fairly certain you arent the only one! grin {{hug}}
Its quite normal. Youll both be fine.

violetlights Tue 02-Oct-12 16:49:26

Definitely not alone there... I'm 39 weeks + and the past week or two have become very scared of having this new little person in our flat. Luckily DP is very supportive and convinces me for a few minutes that everything's going to be just fab...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now