Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Runny eggs etc

(16 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Mon 01-Oct-12 12:30:46

Just a quick question-how many of you are sticking to the rules of what foods you shouldn't eat?! Have you changed the further into pregnancy you are or if it's not your first pregnancy?

ZuleikaD Mon 01-Oct-12 12:33:36

I don't really stick to them. I eat soft cheese if I want to, and raw or runny eggs. I don't eat too much tuna though or liver as the mercury/Vitamin A risk is too high.

I read the guidelines, did a little research and am using my common sense. They are 'guidelines' do what you think is best.

NoTeaForMe Mon 01-Oct-12 12:41:29

Well this is my second pregnancy and it's still early days. However, I have enjoyed some lovely runny eggs! I can't really remember why you can't eat some of the things you shouldn't! Like Brie...why can't I eat it?!

I was similar with my first pregnancy, steered clear of some but wasn't strict. I don't know why but I feel like I'm not being as careful this time and I'm 'lazier' in my approach. Though all I've eaten off the 'no' list is runny eggs and I know I did that last time too! Can't help but feel a little guilty though!

ZuleikaD Mon 01-Oct-12 12:43:42

Brie is because mould-ripened cheeses carry a higher risk of listeria. Any sort of food poisoning can be bad in pregnancy but I think listeria can cross the placenta. However, I read somewhere that there hasn't been a cheese-related case of listeria in the uk for over 2 decades.

Runny eggs are fine if they are lion marked as the chickens are vaccinated against salmonella, which is what the risk is.

You can't eat blue soft cheese but you can have Stilton (I was overjoyed when I found this out)

Pâté and liver are because of high vitamin A which isn't good in high doses do I don't avoid these but I do keep them to a minimum.

I still eat rare steak but only fresh from the butcher that I have cooked myself, because then the likely hood of listeria is smaller.

I can't think of anymore tbh.

Diamond7 Mon 01-Oct-12 13:14:28

I've eaten most things. You can eat pasteurised cheeses (you can buy pasteurised Brie, goats cheese etc).

The only thing I have really avoided is rare meats.

I've just been sensible. I've eaten all seafood but either home cooked or from reputable places. I have eaten sushi again from reputable places who use Sashimi grade fish which is pre-frozen.

Since 2nd Tri I've allowed myself a small glass of wine once a week which tends to last me 2 hours.

With regards to listeria - most recent big outbreaks in the US were from fruit and veg not cheeses or anything on the food restriction lists.

2blessed Mon 01-Oct-12 13:21:13

I ate a couple of bites of DPs medium rare steak on friday and then runny poached eggs on saturday. Felt a bit guilty at first, but over it now...

ZuleikaD Mon 01-Oct-12 14:26:22

Sorry Diamond but you're wrong about the pasteurisation. Pasteurised Brie is just as barred as raw-milk Brie. It's not the condition of the milk it's the way it's ripened that carries the risk. Though as I said, if I want it I eat it, but you should know that pasteurised mould-ripened cheese is on the banned list.

Pascha Mon 01-Oct-12 14:30:38

I'm having raw eggs tonight in my carbonara. I eat medium-rare steak though I understand this might be one of the few things it really is prudent to cook longer. I had a bottle of beer last night.

Titsalinabumsquash Mon 01-Oct-12 14:36:28

I eat runny eggs as long as they're Lion marked.
I don't like pâté or offal so that's not been an issue.
Steak I eat medium (although usually have it blue)
Cheese I eat Stilton and stay away from the other non pasteurised lot, if I was madly in love with the forbidden cheeses I'd eat them but I'm not so its no big loss.

I haven't consumed alcohol (that isn't in food) again, I'm not a drinker really apart from the odd social event so not drinking hasn't bothered me, if I was the sort that liked a drink I'd limit myself to a small glass of wine once or twice a week.

ChildOfThe1980s Mon 01-Oct-12 14:46:08

I'm actually more worried this time, as I have recently MCd. I wasn't very strict the first time (except I had no alcohol). Having a MC puts everything into a different perspective- I'm not even touching caffeinated coffee now. Just too scared.

mrsbugsywugsy Mon 01-Oct-12 14:55:45

I've eaten runny eggs, banned cheese, sushi; I've drunk wine (although only the odd glass) and coffee.

Probably the only rule I haven't broken is the raw meat one - and that's because I don't eat meat.

Pritchyx Mon 01-Oct-12 14:56:35

I'm on my first pregnancy and although I'm careful with what I eat, I'm not strict and everything is fine so far! I can't tolerate rare meat or pâté or liver so they don't bother me but I had lion marked eggs which are fine and no upsets yet! also I don't drink caffeine anyway or alcohol so that's even better!

I felt if I stuck to everything I can't have I'd end up like a machine and I'm a ridiculously fussy eater! Just eat in moderation! smile

Sheldonella Mon 01-Oct-12 16:05:21

I've been having one coffee every day which isn't against the guidelines but still prompted a comment from my mw. Apart from that I have mostly stuck to things, just a few cheese related slip ups. I will probably allow myself the occasional glass of wine later of, certainly one with my xmas dinner. I'm 17 weeks.

Diamond7 Mon 01-Oct-12 19:40:32

Zuelika - Didn't know that. I knew 'wetter' cheese's were more at risk due to listeria but thought they were ok if pasteurised. I've not had any anyway but good to know.

You can eat baked unpasteurised cheeses though can't you? Or am I wrong about that too.

Sheldonella - I'm planning on wine on xmas day. Due xmas eve. Hoping baby arrives early but if not decided a glass of wine and rare steak can't do me or baby any harm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now