Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

37 weeks pregnant - getting out and about

(7 Posts)
snowchick1977 Mon 01-Oct-12 11:32:56

wondering what ladies are up to at 37 weeks pregnant.

We have been invited to an event about 3 hours away from home at the weekend, with an overnight stay.

Would you go?

Last baby was born at 36+3.

Part of me thinks just go, but dh is cautious.

Are you getting out and about much?

headfairy Mon 01-Oct-12 11:34:08

I was still working 12 hour shifts, an hours drive away from home at 39 weeks. Did my last run of 5 12 hour night shifts at 36 weeks. But I was shagged out so I wouldn't recommend my approach grin

Sorry that didn't help did it?

elvislives2012 Mon 01-Oct-12 11:50:03

Am 38 weeks pg and currently on holiday 120 miles away from home. I say do it but take minimal stuff in case u go into labour (eg car seat, hospital bag and notes). If u do drop make sure Youknowwhatloveis the local hospital. Worse thing that could happen is you give birth in a different hospital. Enjoy yourself!

elvislives2012 Mon 01-Oct-12 11:51:05

Stupid phone! Meant to say make sure you know what the local hospital is!!

JennerOSity Mon 01-Oct-12 11:57:21

I personally wouldn't, partly because my last labour was only 6 hours grand total and second births are often quicker, so if I was to go 3 hours away there would be a fair chance baby would be born in car if I went into labour while away!

I think if your last baby came at around this time you are taking quite a chance - unless there was a specific reason for that arrival which isn't applicable this time.

If you went to the event and the labour started would you have access to what you needed? Such as, a baby car seat to take your newborn home, some first clothes and nappies, do you have phone numbers of local midwife team, take your notes with you.... hmmmmm

All seems a bit risk-it-for-a-biscuit for me, which could backfire if the gamble doesn't pay off. Is the event so important it is worth the extra logistics or the chance of going into labour far from home?

I am currently 38 weeks and staying fairly local, as I am expecting a quick delivery. I happily go half an hour from home but pause for thought if it more, I think an hour would be my max and I wouldn't do an overnight now as labour often starts at night - certainly my first did.

Good luck whatever you decide.

5madthings Mon 01-Oct-12 12:03:34

i did, tho all mine were late, i went away when overdue, just took my notes with me and a basic bag with labour bits and stuff for baby just in case, and obviously the carseat in the boot as well just incase.

i had to stay at a friend when overdue with ds3 as we had no hot water or heating (december) and british gas had to replace the wholeheating system including piping etc, so i stayed with my elder two at a friends a good hour or so away. she knew i was overdue, but her dh didnt and one evening he said when are you due and i siad 'oh ten days ago' the look on his face, lol! i was booked in for a home birth but would have gone to a birthing centre had i gone into labour when staying at my friend,s as it was ds3 was 18 days ovedue in the end and i got fed up and was induced, then was home 3hrs after he was born.

do they know why you had your first early ie a urine/bladder infection can trigger early labour.

you could check with your midwife? mine said it was fine just take your notes and make sure you know where the nearest hospital is smile

noblegiraffe Mon 01-Oct-12 13:07:44

I would have said yes until you mentioned your first baby was early!

I wouldn't risk it. Giving birth 3 hours from home could turn into a nightmare if you need an EMCS and have to stay in hospital, or if baby gets an infection and has to stay in (we were in for a week). Imagine travelling 3 hours home post C section!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now