Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

28 week Appointment?

(6 Posts)
ladymia Mon 01-Oct-12 11:28:22

Hi ladies

I have a question, what happens at the 28 week appointment? From what I can tell this is when they do bloods etc. I will be away at that time and mentioned this to my MW when i went for my very first appointment as I was going to change my plans but she said i shouldn't worry and keep my plans as they are.

I am just wondering what they do and if it will make a difference if i go before or after?

I will basically not be here from the 25th week to the 30th week (my midwife said this is not a problem at all) I have my 16 week appointment tomorrow and will ask her then but just wondering.

Interested to hear what people say ...

MoragG Mon 01-Oct-12 12:35:26

My 28 week appointment was just the same as previous appointments (blood pressure, urine check, listened to heat beat, asked questions about any issues e.g. swelling). The only addition was that the mw took blood to check for anaemia and antibodies.

ladymia Mon 01-Oct-12 13:53:29

thanks I will ask her about this tomorrow.

I hope delaying these tests by 2 weeks is not going to be a problem! actually a little worried about it but she didn't seem worried at all

kittysaysmiaow Mon 01-Oct-12 15:57:00

Hi, I had my 28 week appointment last week but I forgot to take my notes blush because of this she said she'd do my bloods at 31 weeks instead. She wasn't at all concerned as I'm generally feeling well. Definitely nothing to worry about.

ladymia Mon 01-Oct-12 20:25:17

thanks kitty that makes me feel better!

stoatie Mon 01-Oct-12 20:48:12

28 week bloods are generally a Full blood count predominately looking at your Hb (and some areas ferritin) to see if you are anaemic and might need iron, plus a repeat of test to ensure you are not developing any antibodies to the baby. these can be done at 31 weeks. I am assuming you are a positive blood group and not negative - as most areas offer Anti D at 28 weeks (for Rhesus negative women) and in that case you would need to have your 28 week bloods before the Anti D injection (as it alters the results)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now