Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

TMI alert

(10 Posts)

Sore swollen bits at 29 weeks?! Is this normal? I've had 2 dcs and don't remember this from their pregnancies!

If it is normal how do I stop it? It's driving me insane!

Bump?!

mummy2benji Mon 01-Oct-12 09:42:01

You could well have a bit of thrush. You don't normally get swollen down there otherwise. Because you're pregnant you should probaby see your GP rather than just self-treating with canesten.

MummysHappyPills Mon 01-Oct-12 09:45:07

Also think it may be thrush. It plagued me during my pregnancy, especially as I had to take antibiotics a couple of times due to utis. Do go and see your gp about it though, rather than getting stuff over the counter. Iirc, you can't take the oral tablets, and they prefer you not to use pessaries, but I had to eventually as the cream just wasn't getting rid of it. Plus if you go to gp you get it on prescription for free! smile

Bitdifferent Mon 01-Oct-12 09:53:03

You can use the pessary, you just have to put it up there with your finger not the applicator. (Just like a mini tampon!) But probably best to see GP, recurrent thrush isn't good so they can keep an eye on you.

MummysHappyPills Mon 01-Oct-12 09:56:30

Yes bitdifferent, that's what I did, I think they just wanted me to try the cream first before they prescribed them to me! In the end the just gave me a big batch and I used them daily til it finally went, I was back and forward with it that often!

Don't let it get any worse op, if you are that sore and swollen. Hope you get some relief soon, I feel your pain! smile

Thanks ladies I have got some 1% cream from earlier in the pregnancy so will give that a go first. I've never been swollen before (but I am on antibiotics for an abscess.

Thanks again!

MummysHappyPills Mon 01-Oct-12 11:17:30

Yes antibiotics make it very likely it is thrush. sad do get to drs if it doesn't clear up.

terilou87 Mon 01-Oct-12 15:37:41

as above says but have you had a look down there it could be vaginal varicose veins common in pregnancy also can have a dull pain along with them and swelling hmm pregnancy niggles are the worst smile

mummy2benji Mon 01-Oct-12 22:26:38

Agree with mummyshappypills that with you being on antibiotics it is even more likely to be thrush. You may find that canesten cream alone isn't enough - I'm a GP and it often takes a pessary to clear the infection, whereas the cream is used mainly for symptom relief from the soreness and burning. As said above, you shouldn't use the applicator with the pessary, just push the pessary slightly inside the vagina with your (clean!) finger - use it at night so it stays in the right place and has a chance to work. You'll find that you pass white thick discharge for a couple of days as the pessary comes out, and it may take 2-3 days for your symptoms to be better completely. If they aren't better by then, you should see your GP. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now