Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Have a barking cough, cold and generally feel rubbish! HT says taking time off makes pregnant women seem precious!

(6 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Sun 30-Sep-12 18:06:30

I'm a teacher and the ht announced that that the last teacher who was pregnant in our school was being a "diva" and very "precious" about taking time off when she was sick. Can't imagine his face if I rang in sick but I generally feel awful sad

The ticking cough is making me feel like I am damaging my baby, because of the constant pressure. I know this is probably rubbish.

I can't take anything, I have been feeling like this for a week and just can get in top of it!

I feel really sorry for myself sad

ilovecolinfirth Sun 30-Sep-12 18:17:13

Take time off! You have to look after yourself and baby! When I was pregnant with my first I had laryngitus (sp?) For the first trimester and I. blame it on not taking time off. The truth is your immune system goes down when you're pregnant! This time I'm pregnant and at a different school. I've had v insensitive comments, such as "youre pregnant, not disabled or ill" this irritates me as I've never suggested such a thing, however I have complete placenta previa which has hospitalised me twice and I'm only allowed back to work on the condition of "light duties". Hey Ho...these silly comments will be made!

Rockchick1984 Mon 01-Oct-12 09:22:00

Take some time off! If you weren't pregnant and felt this awful would you be in work? No, because you wouldn't be worrying about how it looked!

Just remember that as its not a pregnancy related absence (even though you're pregnant if you see what I mean) it will still be counted towards absence trigger points. If you were off with something caused by pregnancy it wouldn't count towards them.

Rockchick1984 Mon 01-Oct-12 09:22:45

Oh, and the cough won't damage the baby smile

Meglet Mon 01-Oct-12 09:24:03

I used to take time off when pregnant for things like that. As I couldn't neck pain killers or cold relief I felt far worse than I usually would.

WantAnOrange Mon 01-Oct-12 09:38:50

You could remind him that it is illegal to discriminate against pregnant women at work.

I would just ignore the tosser and do what's best for mum and baby!

You can take paracetamol if the cough is causing you pain. I had tonsilitis and a chest infection at the begining of my pregnancy and the GP put me on anti-biotics and codine, and a stronger inhaler for my asthma. I was on anti-sickness tablets for hyperemises at the same time. It's a wonder I didn't rattle when I walked! I also drank lots of honey and lemon and sucked on throat sweets (you can have Soothers or halls but not Strepsils).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now