Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low Papp-A levels...?

(3 Posts)
JessieEssex Sun 30-Sep-12 17:48:56

Hi all - bit worried, wonder if anyone can help.

I've just got back from a weekend away to a letter from the hospital saying:

'Following your recent blood tests we have noted that one of your hormone levels is a little lower than we would typically expect and for that reason I would like to invite you to attend for a scan at around 28 weeks and consultation to discuss this further. A low level of hormone is sometimes associated with smaller babies, so we take this precaution of offering you extra surveillance during the pregnancy to monitor this; there is no cause for alarm.'

The scan appointment card enclosed mentions the hormone Papp-A

Of course Dr Google came out and now I'm boggled by all the possibilities. I can ring the midwife tomorrow for more information but I'm panicking already.

I've already had my Down's risk factor back (low at 1:1717) but I'm confused by what this could mean. I'm 14+0

Help...?

DesperateHousewife21 Sun 30-Sep-12 19:41:09

Hi I've got this too. This is dc2 for me, had nothing wrong when preg with dc1.

My Papp a level was 0.28 so they're giving me extra growth scans. I had one at 28 weeks, one at 32 weeks and I've got my last one in a couple of weeks at 36 weeks.
I'm also on daily aspirin just as a precaution but my scans have all come back completely normal and I've got a v healthy little girl growing in there smile

My consultant said in 40-50% cases low Papp a doesn't mean anything but it can sometimes mean the baby doesn't grow well but that's what they'll check at the extra scans.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy smile

JessieEssex Mon 01-Oct-12 10:09:52

Hi Desperate thanks for your reply. I just called the midwife at the hospital and she said that there's nothing to worry about and that the extra monitoring is just so that they don't miss a smaller baby.

This is DC2 - I also had no problems with my first pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now