Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Post birth - how soon did you leave the house?

(9 Posts)
Emmiedarling Sun 30-Sep-12 13:24:33

I had a c-section on Tuesday. I know I need to take it fairly easy, but am interested to know when others left the house and what they did...

I am keen to pop to mothercare (baby was HALF the size than I was advised. They said prepare for a 10lb-er and he was 5!!!! All clothes 0-3 are gigantic so wanted to pick up something smaller)

I also want to go to lunch with my NCT group, pop out to see a friends mum and introduce baba. etc. etc.

Too much too soon? Or all okay if i rest in between. What are your experiences?

MrsHelsBels74 Sun 30-Sep-12 13:30:25

I had a c-section 10 days ago & apart from coming back from hospital haven't been out yet. Mine was a crash section & according to the midwives they were fairly brutal with me so I'm still in a lot of pain.

But if you feel up to going out I don't see why you shouldn't, but take it very easy & make sure you can get home quickly if you feel you've overdone it.

MotherOfNations Sun 30-Sep-12 13:34:00

I was up and about the day after I got out of hospital with each of my 4 sections. Everyone's different though. Just remember to take your pain killers with you if you're going to be out for a while.

NellyBluth Sun 30-Sep-12 13:35:42

I was in hospital for 5 days, but I think the day or so after I came home I went for a walk at least. About 7 or 8 days post birth I did a Sainsbury's waddle shop, and I think we had to go and register the birth at around a fortnight old, don't drive so had to walk to the train and back - knackering! But if you feel ok and you are going somewhere you can sit if you want to, are being driven there etc then absolutely fine.

Oh, actually, if I remember rightly then about a fortnight after my c-sec I was dragging the pram up the stairs at the station because no bastard at the station helped me...

Antidote Sun 30-Sep-12 13:38:17

I had the section at 3am, spent the following full night in hospital, went home in the evening, spent the next whole day at home (up and down 2 flights of stairs a couple of times) and the following day walked slowly to pizza express for lunch! After that I was out every day but found I had to be very careful getting the pram up & down curbs.

Emmiedarling Sun 30-Sep-12 17:47:58

Really helpful guys thanks!

Dogsmom Sun 30-Sep-12 17:54:01

One of my customers is a nurse and former midwife and she was only telling me last week that she felt fine and was driving after 7 days after her cs.

I'm a big believer in doing what you feel is right for you, obviously you wont be doing a 5k run but popping to a shop or visiting a friend will do you the world of good, much better than sitting within the same 4 walls.

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 30-Sep-12 17:57:47

I had a CS, had 5 days in hospital, and went out and about every day as soon as I got home

BUT you don't necessarily get "pain markers" when you do too much post CS so even if you feel fine you do need to make yourself take it easy, but I don't think that means being bed/sofa bound! I think its good for you and baby to get daylight and fresh air so long as you're gentle on yourself - no big hills etc

ellesabe Sun 30-Sep-12 20:30:30

I went shopping in town 5 days after emcs with dd1 at a snail's pace and felt very sore afterwards. Just because you feel up to it, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea! I would recommend going out if you feel ready, but nothing too ambitious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now