Talk

Advanced search

Secondary School Teacher with cold

(13 Posts)
InPraiseofOldHouses Sun 30-Sep-12 12:48:19

Hello all,

I'm 20 weeks and have come down with a nasty cold that's been going round school and that I had been fighting off for about a week. On Friday I simply could'nt soldier on anymore and stayed home. I'm still feeling very weak and headachy, sore throat, runny nose, etc. normally I would carry on but am starting to suspect that being pregnant is making it much harder to do so. I'm tempted to call in sick again tomorrow but feel guilty and don't want to appear to be taking advantage. Are colds worse during pregnancy or is this all in my head? What do other teachers do? I don't know what's reasonable when pregnant, to be honest. Thanks!

Kelerina Sun 30-Sep-12 13:02:51

I am not a teacher. However in life generally I am NEVER ill and haven't had a day off sick from work in years. A couple of weeks ago I had a stinking cold and felt worse than I have in years. Usually I have a pretty amazing immune system but am sure it's because i'm pregnant that I am more susceptible now. Weaker immune system. I took a day off as I felt that ill. You need to take as long off as you need, don't feel guilty, there are no awards for soldiering on!! You need to look after yourself and the wee one!

happyhow Sun 30-Sep-12 13:22:38

I'm a secondary teacher and I would also normally soldier on as best I could. It's such a pain trying to think of cover work!! If you're still feeling miserable, stay off tomorrow. Your immune system is suppressed during pregnancy so you will be feeling more miserable than usual and it will take you longer to fight off the infection. Coupled with the fact that you can't take anything but paracetamol to help you...

Hope you get better soon! bear

mrsbugsywugsy Sun 30-Sep-12 13:47:00

DP and I both caught the same tummy bug a few weeks ago. Normally our immune systems are pretty similar, but this time he had one day with the runs, whereas I had to have a whole week off work as I was constantly throwing up. So my immune system has definitely been affected.

I think you have to take the 'pregnant' bit out of the equation.

Are you well enough to go to work? If yes, go. If not, don't.

Sorry. Am worried that sounded harsh! I didn't mean to.

I'm also a secondary teacher and totally sympathise that it's really tricky deciding whether to call in sick when ill or not. On the one hand, it lets everyone down if you're poorly. On the other, teaching when ill is really bloody hard work and probably makes the illness hang around for longer (hence making everyone's lives harder for longer)

For now, curl up on the sofa with a hot lemon and some paracetamol. If you have the energy, take a quick look at your planning for tomorrow and simplify it as much as possible (could you 'cater for the visual learners' by showing a film ?) In the morning, set your alarm for 15 mins earlier than usual (bear with me!), get up, potter around and decide if you're well enough to get to work and do a decent day's teaching. If not, call in sick and resume previous position on sofa grin

AlisonDB Sun 30-Sep-12 15:01:31

I also have a stinking cold, im a childminder and know i have picked it up from one of the children i mind,
Im usually very very healthy, cant remember the last time i cancelled work due to sickness, but i feel rubbish, and like someone already said all you can do is take paracetamol, which doesnt do much lets face it!
I probably wont cancel work tomorrow, but only because i dont have to leave the house, i can give myself and the children a relaxed day (may even let them watch a DVD, something they never do with me!)
But if i was still in my old job, (nursery nurse in a school) i would definatly be phoning in sick.
Busy classrooms are unforgiving places if you are not feeling well, even more so when you are pregnant and not feeling well, So dont be feeling guilty about not going to work.
Hope you feel better soon!

InPraiseofOldHouses Sun 30-Sep-12 15:07:08

Thanks so much, everyone! I wouldn't usually give this this much thought - I'd just keep going! I like your advice, ATruthUniversallyAcknowledged, and will do that. Am currently on sofa with protective cat. Hope you're all feeling well and staying virus-free! x

InPraiseofOldHouses Sun 30-Sep-12 15:09:13

Thanks AlisonDB - hope you feel better soon!

AlisonDB Mon 01-Oct-12 08:46:43

InPraiseofOldHouses,
How are you feeling today? X

InPraiseofOldHouses Mon 01-Oct-12 14:50:08

Hi AlisonDB, am feeling better now, largely - I think- because I stayed home today and have been sleeping mostly. I really needed it! I hope you're feelibg better? X

AlisonDB Mon 01-Oct-12 18:03:04

Glad you are feeling better, and glad you decided not to go to work and rested instead,
I am feeling better than i did but still grotty, luckily, the children i mind all had a busy weekend and so where quite glad to not do much this morning, ;-)

Good to hear. Hope you're both feeling stronger smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now