Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone opted out the Nuchal T scan?

(46 Posts)
take3 Sat 29-Sep-12 20:35:18

Just wondering as if we had it done and got a high risk result, we would choose not to have an amnio.... so I can't see any point in having it. Would just worry the whole pregnancy. Wouldn't they pick up any major abnormalities (though I know it is possible to miss Down Syndrome at this scan)at the 20 wk scan?
Just trying to think it through.

lollypopsicle Sat 29-Sep-12 20:46:01

Where I lived at the time, they did a different test (blood, I think) rather than the scan. I decided not to have the test for the same reasons you have stated.

TittyBojangles Sat 29-Sep-12 20:49:38

I opted out for the same reasons, we wouldn't have had an amnio so there was little point. It is such a personal decision though, you have to think thro what you will do with the results should they come back as 'high' risk and ime few ppl do. That may be down to poor mw counselling tho

Cinnamonkey Sat 29-Sep-12 20:50:06

We didn't have it - wouldn't have had amnio and wouldn't have terminated the pregnancy for trisomy 21.

Kelerina Sat 29-Sep-12 20:50:19

My DP and I opted out. I am 18 weeks so not had 20 week scan yet.
I also wouldn't have had amnio or cvs and would not have terminated for DS result anyway, that's just me though. My DP and I both work in social care so are quite informed about disabilities so we made a firm decision with our experience in mind.
It is my thinking that my child will be who my child will be and that's that really.
I do however completely understand that this isn't for everyone and others work best through having all of the available information.
Time will tell but I don't think we'll regret that decision.
I thnk any major abnormalities would be picked up at 20 week scan (probably) but am first time preggers and not had it yet so others will be much more knowledgeable than me!!

TubbyDuffs Sat 29-Sep-12 20:51:21

I opted out for the same reasons.

Doraemon Sat 29-Sep-12 20:51:22

We opted out of Nuchal scan, triple test etc etc. on the basis that we wouldn't do amniocentesis in any case because of the risk of miscarriage, and that we wouldn't terminate if the baby had Down Syndrome. This is DC3 - DS2 had a borderline brain abnormality at his 20 week scan which we were told was a marker for Downs or other chromosomal abnormalities and we were offered amnio but turned it down. It was hugely stressful but he is fine. DS1 on the other hand had no abnormalities at his scans then arrived very premature and has ASD.
If the Nuchal scan results would have no impact on how you approach the rest of the pregnancy then I don't see the point in having it, personally.

SpeckleDust Sat 29-Sep-12 20:53:25

I had it done for DD1 as I was uber anxious about everything with her, when it came to DD2 I didn't bother as I knew I wouldn't have any further tests no matter what the outcome was.

PartialToACupOfMilo Sat 29-Sep-12 21:06:47

I didn't opt out, although I also would not have gone ahead with an amnio or terminated - I just wanted to know and be as prepared as possible. As it turned out baby was far too wriggly for a measurement to be taken and I just had the quad test instead. On my notes though it says I declined it - I assume as there was no information to fill in.

HardlyEverHoovers Sat 29-Sep-12 21:07:52

It's funny to hear it called 'opting out', it never crossed my mind to have it. I can't see the point if the results wouldn't lead you to take any action.
Reading Doraemons post it a good lesson in how you can't be prepared for everything!

carrielou2007 Sat 29-Sep-12 21:11:05

I'm the opposite to everyone else then, I am z control freak (that's how I cope with things needing to know everything to be able to stay in 'control')

Had the Oscar with dd and ds as my health authority did not do nt even though was 36 with ds.

I will have every test going as for me that is the only way I feel u can made an informed decision about what to do. Having said that I really don't think I could terminate but I am an old bird and did me I need to have all the information. Will cross that bridge when I come to it and would be disgusted at anyone judging me whatever my decision would be as after all it is my decision whatever that may be.

lollypopsicle Sat 29-Sep-12 21:18:38

On the issue of "would you just worry the whole pregnancy" there are a whole number of abnormalities that you can't test for in pregnancy. Having the nuchal tests would not have stopped me worrying about everything else!
But then, I am a worrier!

Em2010 Sat 29-Sep-12 21:25:52

I didn't for either of mine. I am such a worrier I didn't think a test which only gives odds and no definite answer was a very good step to take...

ValiumQueen Sat 29-Sep-12 21:31:28

I opted out for all three. I would not have had an amnio, and would not consider termination, so no point. I figure anything major would show up on a scan. I am old, so would be high risk anyway. I did worry a bit, especially in the last few weeks. DC3 due in 3 weeks, other two fine.

Dandelion75 Sat 29-Sep-12 21:44:41

Glad to read this thread as I posted the same q on the April birth club today, as I was starting to feel all alone in opting out......

I've got my scan on Tues when will be 13+1 and am not planning to have NT. We've been TTC for 4 years and finally pregnant after 2 cycles of IVF aged 37. We kind of feel that after putting so much effort into what will probably be our only ever pregnancy, we will take whatever happens - and whatever the NT result we wouldn't have an amnio. What will be will be. We definitely wouldnt terminate because of Downs. We've both worked in care environments and have experience of spending time with adults and children with disabilities, so like kelerina that informed our decision.

Everyone makes their decisions for their own reasons, and there is no right or wrong way to go. good luck with your decision take3 x

TheAngelshavetheOod Sat 29-Sep-12 21:49:59

I wouldn't have had it but it's not offered in my area.

Flisspaps Sat 29-Sep-12 21:52:01

I didn't have it with either pregnancy, nor did I have the triple test.

CakeBump Sat 29-Sep-12 21:54:06

We didn't bother.

And like a previous poster said, I didn't feel we were "opting out" of anything - we wouldn't have had an amnio, or a termination under any circumstances, so there was no point.

I do vaguely wonder what happens if they then pick up something at the 20 week scan though? You'd know anyway presumably then even if you haven't had Nuchal (although I know it is sometimes missed).

Funnily enough we didn't have it partly because of my experience having a severely disabled DB, but speaking to my DM, she said my DB's experience would make her even more convinced that she wanted all the tests. Individual preference I suppose....

nailak Sat 29-Sep-12 21:56:15

i think plenty of people opt out if they wouldnt change their feelings about the baby/feoutus/pregnancy due to the results. Myself included.

CakeBump Sat 29-Sep-12 21:58:19

Yes nailak I'm 28 weeks now and really haven't worried, even without any tests - a sort of "whatever will be will be" attitude I think.

themammy73 Sat 29-Sep-12 22:03:35

I live in Ireland and I asked when having DC1 whether these kind of tests were available - my dr told me they aren't unless you have a good reason I think. You must 'opt in'. I wouldn't have known anyone to have them: blood tests or nuchal tests. I don't think I have ever been given odds for DS or any other abnormality and am am older mum of 39 years of age. It wouldn't have made a difference to me continuing with the pregnancy if I had the tests anyway and I think in some ways I worry less.

take3 Sat 29-Sep-12 22:04:45

Thanks everyone, good to know other people have opted out and we are not alone, as that is what we will do. Some have mentioned they didn't feel like they were 'opting out' - i think this depends on where you live. In our city, the Nuchal T scan is done as routine as part of the 12 week scan, so you need to tell them if you don't want it. This has only changed in the last few years, as in our previous pregnancies, in the same city, you had to pay for it.

Iggly Sat 29-Sep-12 22:06:29

I didn't have one with my second DC because a) I knew I wouldn't change my mind or have amniocentesis and b) I had to wait around for 5 hours when I had one for DS so couldn't be doing that again.

FriendofDorothy Sat 29-Sep-12 22:14:18

We opted out for all the same reasons. If it showed a higher risk I wouldn't go on to have amnio and I wouldn't terminate even if the baby had Down's. What would be the point of giving myself loads more stress.

ISpyPlumPie Sat 29-Sep-12 22:38:48

Another one who opted out here for reasons already stated. As we wouldn't have terminated for DS, the only benefit of knowing in advance would be to prepare ourselves practically eg finding out more about parenting a child with SN etc. If there was a risk free way of finding out for certain then it would be worth it but it just didn't seem like enough of a reason to run the risk of an amnio.

Seemed pointless just having odds from the triple test without an amnio - if the results showed high risk would rest of pg stressing potentially unnecessarily and if they were low risk, could mentally cross it off list of worries only to find we were the one in 10,000 or whatever.

Also, there are many other conditions not screened for which can significantly affect a childs health/development, some of which only happen at or after birth so it's no guarentee of anything anyway.

Agree it's a hugely personal decision and there is no right or wrong choice, but these are the reasons we didn't opt for testing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: