Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Novice

(10 Posts)
lauraellajane Sat 29-Sep-12 16:28:48

Hi everyone smile

I'm a newbie to mumsnet and the concept of pregnancy...!!

My period was due about a week ago and never showed, so I did a test this morning and the lines went pink immediately - eek! We haven't been planning, though have been married 5 years and always had children in our minds for the future.

What do I do now? Assume I just need to see my GP but should I perhaps wait a few days and do another test to confirm? And how on earth do you work out if you can even afford a baby? Childcare costs are scaring me!

paddycat1 Sat 29-Sep-12 16:35:12

My advice is wait a few days and do another pg test preferably the digital clear blue one as it will tell you in writing! Then go to tell your GP and they will then give you all the information you will need. If it's to be you and your partner will find a way to support your baby. You do not need everything brand new to start with you can get secondhand baby clothes as they grow so quickly as they develop. Friends and Family i am sure will support you as well once you are out of the 12 to 14 weeks stage and threat of a miscarriage has passed. Good luck it is best to have children when you are younger as it gets harder to conceive the older we get. Best wishes x

Pontouf Sat 29-Sep-12 16:57:27

Congratulations! Sounds like you're defo pregnant! I'd make an appointment with your GP who can give you all the info you need. They'll probably just tell you to make an appointment with the midwife at your surgery for when you're around 8-10 weeks. Don't forget that pregnancy is calculated from the first day of your last period. So if you have a typical cycle of around 28 days and you are a week late you are probably around 5 weeks pregnant!
How does your DH feel? Is he happy? Are you happy? Congratulations again. Oh and best to get some folio acid asap.

lauraellajane Sat 29-Sep-12 17:15:22

Thanks ladies! Have been v bad at keeping track of my cycle lately but agree think i must be about 5 weeks.

My DH was a bit ambivilant this morning, he had to go to work at 11am and we've been texting all day. He's been gradually getting more and more convinced and excited throughout the day as have I (we are definitely not the richest of people and were contemplating termination but in my heart I think I couldn't do it). Just can't wait for him to get home so we can talk properly!

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sat 29-Sep-12 17:23:54

Oh congratulations!! That's lovely. Even when trying it can come as a shock so don't worry about bring surprised!! Don't panic about money, you don't have to go wild if you can't afford to. eBay can become your best friend!! A new matress and car seat then the rest can be second hand and believe me, it's hard to find tatty things when they're in them for only two minutes!! Good luck smile

Scroobius Sat 29-Sep-12 21:58:11

We were trying, or not not trying, and it was still a massive shock when the test was positive so not surprised your in shock. From what I figure no one can afford it if they actually sit down and work it out no matter how much money they have. Everyone lives to their means though and you don't actually need a lot despite what 'official' reports and surveys tell you.

lauraellajane Sun 30-Sep-12 16:43:35

That's very reassuring, thank you! We've told a couple of select people who already have children and they've said the same things. So we are definitely going for it with joyful excited-ness! DH brought me folic acid home yesterday and has already started Ebaying things he doesn't use to raise a bit of cash - very keen!

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sun 30-Sep-12 16:54:45

Yay!! So glad you're happy smile good luck!! X

CailinDana Sun 30-Sep-12 16:54:46

Aww congratulations OP! It's scary for everyone, no matter how much they want it. 9 months is a long time, plenty of time to save up some money and get what you need. If people are keen to buy presents, don't be afraid to tell them what you need. Since DS was born 21 months ago I've hardly bought a single stitch of clothing for him, it's all been presents or hand me downs. As they grow there's plenty of time to save for each stage. It can be a struggle but it is so fantastic being a mum, it is worth every bit of it smile

Just to say, don't expect anything from the GP appointment, chances are they'll just refer you straight to the midwife. This time around (I'm 20 weeks with DC2) I didn't even bother going to the GP I just went the HV clinic and asked her to tell the MW around the corner I needed an appointment!

Flisspaps Sun 30-Sep-12 17:00:12

Congratulations smile

YY to not expecting anything from the GP appointment - at most it'll be a quick check of your dates on a cardboard wheel, and filling in a form to refer you to the MW. With DC2 I didn't even bother seeing the GP, I called the maternity unit direct (not unlike Cailin!) They won't do any special tests or anything, just take your word for it. Don't expect a huge amount of information from them either - you tend to get that at your booking in appointment with the MW. Until and after then, you've found the best place for information and advice.

A clearblue test is no more sensitive than a 10-for-£1 from ebay job, so don't worry about doing another one in a few days to 'confirm' it - it's almost impossible to get a false positive.

Don't fret about affording a baby (no-one can ever afford a baby if they sit down and work it out!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now