Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Clexane

(23 Posts)
ImPeppaPigOink Sat 29-Sep-12 12:25:31

HI

I was wondering if anyone is on Clexane injections?

If there is anyone how do you give the injection without much pain?

It took me over 30mins to give the injection this morning through the pain. I also don't like needles so maybe that is why it's hurting more?

I'm on Clexane twice a day until baby is 6weeks old so I have 6months left to o sad

ImPeppaPigOink Sat 29-Sep-12 12:26:02

left to do*

CaptainHoratioWragge Sat 29-Sep-12 12:27:34

Hello Peppa,

Yes I'm on them.

When I started them I asked a similar question and got some good replies on my thread, hang on a sec and i'll find it and post the link for you.

CaptainHoratioWragge Sat 29-Sep-12 12:31:23

here you go, hope some of it helps

ImPeppaPigOink Sat 29-Sep-12 12:31:49

Thank you I will have a look now.

zoeymlucas Sat 29-Sep-12 19:14:40

Make sure your sat down and sorry to be brutal but just do it the more you think it the more you tense and make it worse. Don't go to near the belly button and not in the sides if poss so in the middle of those two areas- and NEVER rub it afterwards as you will bruise awfully!!! I have been doing them daily for 6 years and was wimp at first but now it's second nature x

MoJangled Sat 29-Sep-12 22:25:33

Fast fast fast is the answer - like ripping off a plaster. It hurts a lot if you push the needle slowly in, but if you almost throw it in like a dart you can barely feel it. Also, if you press down directly on the spot for 3 minutes directly after you reduce bruising. Good luck!

phlebas Sat 29-Sep-12 22:30:45

yup, I've had twice daily clexane injections through 4 pregnancies - do it quickly & don't rub it afterwards is my advice.

hzgreen Sat 29-Sep-12 23:17:30

stay away from belly button - at least 5cms but i'd say morel ike 3 inches
pinch skin (a good amount of it) for at least 45 seconds
plunge needle in dead quick
reward yourself
demand sympathy/praise from DP on how brave you are.

you will get better at it but if you're tentative it will hurt more. good luck x

ImPeppaPigOink Sun 30-Sep-12 11:02:20

Thank you for the replies.

I will try it fast this morning.

I find the worst bit is actually putting the needle into the skin after it is in it is fine.

ImPeppaPigOink Sun 30-Sep-12 11:25:34

I put the injection in as if it was a dart, it took 1second to do it. smile

Thank you for the advice, hopefully that means they are easier to do now smile

hzgreen Sun 30-Sep-12 11:40:22

hurray, well done! glad it worked for you.

CaptainHoratioWragge Sun 30-Sep-12 22:42:08

Brilliant! I'm glad it was better today smile

MoJangled Sun 30-Sep-12 22:50:07

Well done PeppaPig! Just off to do mine now grin

SoozleQ Sun 30-Sep-12 23:47:43

Well done! I had to get DP to do mine - really couldn't bring myself to do at all!

BabylonPI Sun 30-Sep-12 23:52:19

I had them with last two pregnancies.

Always injected sitting down, always alternated thighs to inject into (injected into stomach AFTER birth); always inject quickly and smoothly - like a dart as said upthread.

Hth smile

Midgetm Mon 01-Oct-12 08:20:31

When the nurse showed me how to do it I got the biggest bruise ever grin. Hardly marked me at all when I did it like the others suggested. You get really used to it in the end. Good luck.

farfallarocks Mon 01-Oct-12 08:32:29

I was on them until 28 weeks, it gets easier honestly.
As others have said, sit down so you can pinch some flesh!
I found injecting at belly button height or above was better than below.
Try and go in at 90 degrees
Don;t rub or touch the area at all!
Every now and again you will get a really blunt needle, just ditch it and use another one.
Try and get the clexane with retractable needles, they seem to bruise much less for some reason.
You will become a pro and not even blink in a week or so.
Good luck!

farfallarocks Mon 01-Oct-12 08:35:20

Oh yes and if you hit a spot and its really sore just take it out and find somewhere else, don;t perservere, you have probably hit a muscle and that will bruise!

ImPeppaPigOink Fri 19-Oct-12 22:38:10

Well I have been on Clexane for 3-4weeks (can't remember the exact time)

All is going well. I can do the injections withing a few seconds, I can get them done withing seconds.

My needles are retractable. Since being on Clexane I can have any injection without flinching so least it is doing a good thing smile

The problem I have found is I did one on my right side of my tummy near my surgery sight for my illness and since then it has came up in a big bruise (measuring 5cm across) and a big sore lump under the skin that moves a little bit. I don't have a lump anywhere else just that sight, is it normal?

VickyU Sat 20-Oct-12 11:38:02

Hi there. I'm on trimethoprim which is basically the same thing - also heparin. Anyway, not sure if the needles are identical but also wanted to say make sure you do the injections in a light room so that you can try and see where there are veins. I hit a vein the other day and although its not dangerous, the bruise was like nothing I've ever seen! It literally looked like someone had punched me in the stomach! So just to say try to avoid veins. Other than that you will get used to it and it really is fine after a while. I know this sounds weird but I do think some days its more painful in certain areas and some days in others. But its quite instinctual in terms of where is good that day if that makes sense!

glossyflower Sat 20-Oct-12 12:17:56

I'm a nurse and give clexane on a daily basis.
I have found that people find it less painful (some don't even know I have injected them) is to find a really good spot and pinch a good amount of subcutaneous fat. It ideally should be given below your belly button on about 6 inches either side. However you may give it on other areas with good amounts of fat tissue. In colorectal surgery, having injections in the abdomen makes the skin harder over time so they like to give it to their patients in their upper arms.
I really wouldn't advise the buttocks, as sitting on those areas could cause a lot of irritation and bruising, as clexane is what it is, a blood thinner.
The abdomen is the best place for clexane.
Never rub afterwards this will always cause bruising, limiting your areas for injection next time. Everyone's different some people bruise very badly and some not at all.
To avoid injecting into veins, as that is not recommended obviously, and if you hit a vein it can bleed for a long time and bruise badly. If you do, it's not the end of the world but you will need to put pressure into it and cover with a dressing. I've seen people that have bled from an injection site for days although it always looks worse than it is. To avoid veins, although its tricky when you're new to it and fiddly, just pull back the plunger after you insert the needle if you get blood back into the syringe you are in a vein. To do this with the self sheathing needles are more difficult.
My top tip is the pinching though, it does help. Try it with your finger press into your belly, you feel this yes? Now pinch fairly firmly and press with your finger, you feel the pinch but not the finger.
It will get easier for you I promise xxx

glossyflower Sat 20-Oct-12 12:21:05

peppa if it was a fairly recent injection it's probably nothing to worry about it will disappear over time. However I'd just mention to your dr next time if its been there a long time xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now