Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone having a home birth in Northern Ireland?

(7 Posts)
soapnuts Sat 29-Sep-12 11:30:58

Just that really! I'm in an odd position in that we live abroad but I've just been told we're being moved asap so will probably have to leave in the next month so I can get back to the UK while I'm still allowed to fly. Where I currently live homebirth is illegal so it's not something I've really contemplated before but as the whole moving situation is a bit rubbish it would be a real positive if the move meant I could have my baby at home in Northern Ireland (luckily we have a house there) because it's something I want but never thought I could have.

I've looked into it a bit and it seems that mothers elsewhere in UK are entitled to request a homebirth but that doesn't extend to NI and to be honest I don't know where to start! Does homebirth happen? (stats I found say only 0.4%of births in NI are at home) Do I go to a GP and get referred to a midwife or do I go to the midwife clinic direct? How do I know where to go? Any advice would be really appreciated - this is DC2 but I had DS1 abroad so have no idea about maternity services in the UK! Think I'm going to have to learn fast!!

You are right, home births arent very common here.

I cannot advise you much more than to say that you have to get referred to MW care through a GP so a GP is your first stop!

Good luck smile

soapnuts Sat 29-Sep-12 13:53:29

thanks Wannabe - I guess I'm just going to have to ask them about home births!

I'll get onto a GP and ask for a referral. I hope they'll still take me as I'll be about 33 weeks by the time I get back! Talk about rubbish timing!

Well they dont really have much choice smile

Can you contact a GP before 33 weeks though and explain your situation? I moved house at 32 weeks and I had missed the cut off for changing surgeries because it has to be done before 8 weeks to go.

I cant see how they could turn you away though!

soapnuts Sat 29-Sep-12 14:10:53

god I hope they don't have much choice!! That's good to know about the 32 week cut off - I'm coming from abroad so not even registered with a GP in the UK at the moment but will make sure I talk to them before 32 weeks so I give them some warning rather than springing it on them!

I can't believe the timing of this move!!

bureni Sat 29-Sep-12 14:24:56

Home birth seems to depend a lot on your location in Scotland and N.I, this link might help.

www.nidirect.gov.uk/your-choices-for-giving-birth

soapnuts Sat 29-Sep-12 15:05:51

thanks bureni - does seem like it's an option then..... will get a referral to a midwife and take it from there I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now