Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

why can't you have the whooping cough jab after 38 weeks?

(11 Posts)
mrswee Fri 28-Sep-12 21:58:24

why can't you have the whooping cough jab after 38 weeks? Does anyone know?

I am actually only 32 weeks but was just wondering what the reason for this is. What if you have it now then go in to labour in the next two weeks?

DyeInTheEar Fri 28-Sep-12 22:03:19

You can have it but it's though to not be enough time for you to build up the necessary anti bodies and for them to be passed to the baby before your due date. I'm no expert and only know this from press reports. I'm guessing the earlier the better for that reason.

I'm 31 weeks and hope to be getting it asap.

DyeInTheEar Fri 28-Sep-12 22:03:49

*thought

Clarella Fri 28-Sep-12 22:44:42

A poster on the other thread on whooping cough has posted her pharmacist husband's info that was distributed in their pct, which is effectively you can but, as above, baby wouldnt have time to be immune. However, mum would be so no danger of passing to baby. I'm almost 32 wks and hope its asap too.

mummy2benji Sat 29-Sep-12 19:31:21

I'm 36+1 and hoping to get it asap... You can have it later than 38 weeks, as said above, but as it can take 2 weeks for the antibodies to develop, if baby is born less than 2 weeks after you were given the jab then they won't have the benefit of immunity as a newborn. They would still have the indirect benefit of you not being able to get it, which in turn reduces their likelihood of catching it. Just hoping that the GP practices have been provided with the vaccines and have facility for extra clinics so the jabs can be given promptly to those of us who are getting rather far along now.

pickledraisins Sun 30-Sep-12 07:59:39

Don't the mother's immunities pass through to the baby via breast milk? I thought that was one of the main advantages of breast feeding. Anyone know?

mrswee Mon 01-Oct-12 20:04:22

Thanks for your replies. I had thought/hoped that was the reason rather than it being unsafe or something.
pickled I guess not everyone breast feeds, or many intend to but it doesn't work out so it's never going to be a gaurenteed way of the vacine passing over to the baby

monkeysbignuts Mon 01-Oct-12 20:42:08

I am 38 weeks and my gp have not got a clue when they are getting it in!
I feel so angry that its been all over the news before gp surgerys were made aware and got stock in!
I am breast feeding so will insist on having it and hope it passes antibodies through my milk.

mummy2benji Mon 01-Oct-12 22:18:37

Breastfeeding improves your baby's immune system and helps prevent against ear infections and other minor infections, but it doesn't transfer mum's immunity for infectious diseases - the whooping cough vaccine will only give immunity to baby when it is given with baby still in utero. But mum having it will help baby indirectly, even if there isn't enough time for baby to obtain the immunity themselves - if mum is immune, at least she can't get it herself, so can't pick it up and pass it on to baby.

I've managed to get my vaccine booked for wednesday (I'm nearly 37 weeks). When I phoned first thing this morning they didn't know much about it and asked me to call back after 12 - then I spoke to the deputy practice manager who said they had been given a small stock of vaccines so were prioritising the mums who are late on first, and she booked me in for it. Monkey - it's worth phoning back and asking to speak to the assistant practice manager or PM perhaps, as they will better understand the urgency for you.

violetlights Mon 01-Oct-12 22:48:48

My GP told me today the new NHS guidelines are to give it to ALL pregnant women up to labour (can't remember at which week they were beginning to give it - 32?). When I got the jab privately on Friday (I was 38 +5 and didn't think I could get it on the NHS) the doctor said antibodies take a "good 10 days" to transfer to the baby.

Goldrill Tue 02-Oct-12 12:51:16

Got mine booked for Thursday when I will be 39 weeks. DD was two weeks overdue and our dates on this one are a bit dodgy so I think it entirely possible she will get two weeks to brew after the jab. Certainly worth a go when you see the effects of the illness.

Arrival dates are not an exact science after all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now