Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please help - BFP a week ago but now negative, confused

(17 Posts)
fanjobiscuits Fri 28-Sep-12 21:38:27

Hi, I would be really grateful if anyone can help with this. We had a BFP last Saturday when would have been 4 weeks since last period. Confirmed with 3 tests just to make sure. It's now nearly a week later and I noticed some light brown spotting when I got home today. I also just stopped 'feeling' pregnant. For some reason I decided to do two preg tests again (clear blue digital and first response). Both negative!

I really thought I had got my head around the science of all this but am now really confused. Does this definitely mean I am no longer pregnant? Is there any chance it is because it is so late in the day - ie not fmu. I did fmu for the first test last saturday, but more middayish for the second, so seems unlikely.

If it is genuine negative, then is that a possible sign of ectopic? Or what??

Any help welcomed, OH away a lot so not here right now and am feeling confused and vulnerable.

chubbychipmonk Fri 28-Sep-12 21:51:26

Oh poor you. . .sending you a hug! I feel your pain, I did pregnancy tests that showed positive at approx 4 weeks since my last period, got very excited only to do a test again a few days later only for it to show up negative. I was told i'd had what was called a chemical pregnancy, where you release the hormones that show up on a test but that the fertilised egg doesn't develop. This is often where the problems lies with early pregnancy tests, had you no tested you would just have what you thought was your period a few days late. . Not very comforting I know.
But let's think positive because we don't know for sure that's gonna happen to you! Easier said than done big try & not worry, if it's not meant to be then there's nothing you've done wrong/can do to stop it. I would try testing again first thing in the morning & if that's negative make an appointment first thing on Monday morning with doc who should refer you to early pregnancy unit who can do a blood test & tell you for sure. I know how painfully disappointing it is but sometimes it's your body's way of being cruel to be kind, there was more than likely something wrong with the egg if it failed to develop. Literally a month after this happened to me I fell pregnant with my son who's now a happy 2 year old. Sorry to hear what your going through but you will get through it. Big hug and let us know how it goes X

HaveALittleFaith Fri 28-Sep-12 21:55:40

Oh your poor love. What a head spinner. It's very difficult to say (and im no expert) but realistically, after a while of being pregnant, you should be getting BFPs regardless of the time of day. I assume you haven't had any spotting or bleeding? It's impossible to say exactly what's happened but yes it's possible it's an ectopic or an early miscarriage. Have you told anyone (medical wise) about your pregnancy? I wonder if you should consider going to a local early pregnancy unit or getting advice.
You need to look out for signs of an ectopic pregnancy but it may not be that.
All you can really do is take care of yourself and get some advice from healthcare staff - early pregnancy unit or talk to your GP out of hours service? A series of blood test might shed some light on things. Is there someone you can contact? Or call 111?

girlgonemild Fri 28-Sep-12 21:58:04

I once had this happen as I had drunk too much liquid immediately before and it diluted my urine too much. That is a possibility too perhaps?

fanjobiscuits Fri 28-Sep-12 22:04:03

Thanks so much for all your replies, I really really appreciate it!

I am going to try testing in the morning as I have been drinking quite a bit of water (trying to be diligent!). But it seems more likely it is chemical? If it is a 'chemical' (lovely term!) will it be just like a heavy period or is there more to it?

Havealittle - a bit of spotting just at the end of today.

Will also check for ectopic signs to look out for.

Again thanks so much, the support and information make such a difference.

fanjobiscuits Fri 28-Sep-12 22:05:48

Havealittle - sorry, missed a question there! Had rung doc to book in for a time in about a week but not seen anyone officially yet.

fanjobiscuits Fri 28-Sep-12 22:10:58

Now experiencing what I would normally take to be AF (sorry if TMI!). Might ring nhs direct just to check re: ectopic possibilities but have no pain or anything so hoping it is not that!

HaveALittleFaith Fri 28-Sep-12 22:13:19

Yes 'chemical' is vile isn't it? But essentially it's a very early miscarriage if it is a chemical. it's difficult to say really, it could just be that your pee is diluted but I guess I'd brace yourself. Do you have a friend/family member close you could confide in if your DH is away?

Do you have another test you can do in the morning then? Is it a First Response? (I got a much clearer BFP with them than other brands). I had a chemical myself a while back so I do get how confusing it is. I had a period that was on the heavier side but if I hadn't been TTC and carefully tracking my periods I don't know that I'd have noticed the difference.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 28-Sep-12 22:14:07

It sounds like it was a chemical pregnancy (and I'm with you on the horrid name) and that it is all procedding normally. I'm so sorry its come to that

An ectopic would normally cause some sort of pain (usually shoulder tip or at the top of your hip, strangely) but if you're at all concerned, a call the NHS direct or OOH would do no harm

HaveALittleFaith Fri 28-Sep-12 22:14:09

Oh cross posts. I'm really sorry to hear that sad can you get in touch with your DH?

fanjobiscuits Fri 28-Sep-12 22:20:26

Thanks Havealittle, it's comforting to know that it shouldn't be any worse than the usual monthly joy! OH is coming back for the weekend so will see him tomorrow and will be fine until then I think. It seems pretty definitely a no goer this time as now definitely bleeding rather than spotting (again sorry tmi). Just feeling a bit nervous in case it could be ectopic.

fanjobiscuits Fri 28-Sep-12 22:24:13

Also thanks imnotjim, lots of cross posts going on! OH incommunicado due to nature of his work until he gets home, but probably a good thing in a way as I'd rather tell him when we're together so would be a tough call to decide whether to say now or tomorrow. I'm fine for this eve, curled up in bed and feeling better actually now I feel I 'know' one way or the other.

HaveALittleFaith Fri 28-Sep-12 22:43:51

Look after yourself. Hot water bottle and painkillers. It might help to know that 50% of ectopics resolve naturally - so you may have had an ectopic but it doesn't mean you will definitely have the pain/need surgery since you're bleeding now. I hope you get some sleep.

fanjobiscuits Fri 28-Sep-12 23:21:26

:0) i have chocolate, and a teddybear. Have a good weekend and thanks for the hand-holding!
Fanjo

HaveALittleFaith Sat 29-Sep-12 08:28:04

How are you feeling this morning? <strokes hair>

Imnotaslimjim Sat 29-Sep-12 10:22:37

also popping in to see how you're doing. I went through this 6 times before I got my PFB, so totally understand

fanjobiscuits Wed 03-Oct-12 00:57:52

Hi Havealittle and Imnot, thanks so much for checking in on me - sorry didn't see your responses until now. Am doing ok thanks, all things considered. Have readjusted a bit more to life being back the way it was before BFP - for now, at least. Your help and support really made a difference- hope you are both very well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now