Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.


(9 Posts)
WeeSooty Fri 28-Sep-12 20:28:10

Hi Everyone,

I’m 39 weeks today and have been diagnosed with PUPPS. Its like a horrible, horrible itchy rash all over me. Its agony and there is nothing they can do!! Good news is, it doesn’t hurt the baby and will disappear as soon as the baby is born. Bad news is I’m sitting here in tears cause its so painful. I just can’t see how I can last another week like this and the thought of going over due is making me cry even more!

Doc has given me balneum cream twice a day which works but only for a little while. And piriton but I’ve only to take 1 at night if I am totally desperate as it can reach the baby.

Does anyone have any tips for helping or even to be honest reassurance that I will make it through? I know I sound overly dramatic but I cannot describe the itchiness! sad

SummerSolstice Fri 28-Sep-12 20:36:58

I had PUPPs too and it was awful, I completely sympathise. I developed it at about 37 weeks and there was some talk about inducing early. Thankfully the main stinging/itching 'only' lasted about 10 days and actually cleared up just before the birth. It was so bad when I did have it that the consultant wanted to admit me if I didn't feel I could 'cope' with the symptoms at home.

Aqueaus cream with menthol helps a little - it makes your skin feel VERY cold and shivery, distracting from the itch. I too used piriton at night.

I wore little when at home, a cotton t-shirt seemed the least painful.

Finally, much easier said than done, try not to itch. Itching brings out more awful bumps and does make it worse.

I hope you feel better soon and best of luck with the birth!

Yorkstar Fri 28-Sep-12 22:17:06

I was diagnosed with PUPPS too. Not much more advice other than what you're doing but much sympathy and mine disappeared completely the second dd was born. My legs in particular were a complete mess from all the scratching and I still have scars 17 months later.
Midwife did tell me that 70% of women with PUPPS go on to have a boy - I was in the other 30%. Good luck, not long now and itching will hopefully be gone

milkyjo Fri 28-Sep-12 23:19:07

Try dandelion root, just googled pupp and a lot of people recommend this to take away the itch.

DolomitesDonkey Sat 29-Sep-12 06:20:43

I don't want to upset you, but I got PUPPS post-partum although thankfully it passed within a week or so. I'd wake up in the night scratching myself.

fuckbadger Sat 29-Sep-12 08:03:25

I had pupps and it was awful! What you need to do is buy some coal tar soap and use it in the shower twice a day. Put loads of it on a flannel and really scrub yourself, if possible leave the foam on your skin for a few minutes before rinsing. Afterwards moisturise really well. I noticed a difference in 3 days doing this and it was completely gone in a week.

Chendy Sat 29-Sep-12 18:31:13

My friend developed this at about 20 weeks and had to have about a month off work. She tried everything on the Internet and shops for it but found having oat baths was the only thing that worked. She did have 4 a day mind. But it was the only thing that soothed it and allowed her to sleep.

StillinMyPJs Sun 30-Sep-12 07:54:12

You have my sympathies. I had this at 34 weeks and found myself googling about whether I could be induced it was so bad. Over the 2 weeks that I really suffered, the only relief I found was with ice blocks (the kind that you put in cooler bags). If I started to scratch the only way I could stop was to numb the skin. I also found some very soft bamboo tshirts to wear.

Although I only had the rash for 2 weeks the redness was still there for a few weeks after the birth.

I really hope it improves for you soon

WeeSooty Mon 01-Oct-12 06:26:17

Thank you so much for replies. It is good even just to know I'm not alone with this!

Have got dandelion root so hoping it starts to work in next couple of days. The itching and pain is horrendous. Trying not to scratch is near impossible!!

Hurry up baby and get moving!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: