Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

35 weeks pregnant - whoopi ng cough jab?

(24 Posts)
Whatsounddoesagiraffemake Fri 28-Sep-12 18:16:57

In light of recent newborn deaths it's been offered from Monday to women between 28 and 38 weeks pregnant. Wondering if I should go for it or if anyone k ows something I don't?

PrimaBallerina Fri 28-Sep-12 18:24:57

It said on the news that they've been doing this in the US for a year or so with no evidence of side effects.

I'll be having it if it's offered.

HowToChangeThis Sat 29-Sep-12 04:20:02

It's the same vaccine they give to the babies at 8 weeks etc, it's just not been offered to pregnant women in this country before. It's the only way to protect your baby from am illness that is potentially fatal to neonates and can damage vocal chords for life. On that basis I'm going for it.

JennerOSity Sat 29-Sep-12 04:22:14

I'm currently 37 weeks and getting my flu jab on monday - going to ask if I can have this too while I'm there, assuming doc thinks it is OK to have both and at my stage of pregnancy.

soon2bmumof3 Sat 29-Sep-12 06:20:03

Hi what sound, I'm 35 wks too. I'm normally dubious about things like this especially when they seem a knee jerk reaction with little communication to GPs before its all over the national press . However from what I've read online, in the news and on here I have decided to have ask for it on Monday. I am not having the flu jab, difference being that is a live vaccine, flu is not what I would class as a childhood illness and that jab is more designed to protect me, it's effects on the babies are unknown. The WC jab is already given to babies at 8 wks, this is a way of getting it to them earlier. How that helps

FuriousRox Sat 29-Sep-12 06:26:36

I will be 38 weeks on fri and def going to ask for it. I know two adults who have contracted it over te summer so it's definitely going around! I only hope gp surgery is clued up and stocked up.

SleepyFergus Sat 29-Sep-12 06:28:52

I don't think the flu jab is a 'live' virus when given to you. I had the jab when I was recently pregnant and the leaflet they gave me said that's it's a misconception that it's a live vaccine. Maybe double check that before saying no!

SleepyFergus Sat 29-Sep-12 06:30:54

Also, the flu jab is supposed to protect your newborn for approx 6 months from flu? It was all in the leaflet I'm sure which of course I don't have any more !

soon2bmumof3 Sat 29-Sep-12 06:43:08

Maybe I'm jumping the gun there then sleepy, I'm basing that on info on the swine flu vaccine that was around on 2010 when I was last pregnant - I've been given very little info on the current vaccine as I've been seeing a consultant rather than my MW. It's only being on here I've picked up that they are still offering one.

soon2bmumof3 Sat 29-Sep-12 06:45:06

Meant hope that helps in my last post not how!

PeshwariNaan Sat 29-Sep-12 07:30:03

From my understanding giving a pregnant woman the flu jab protects her unborn child in the sense that if you contract flu while pregnant, your baby is in serious danger. soontobe I would seriously talk to your GP about your concerns and weigh up whether the risk of stillbirth is worth it to not get the flu jab.

HowToChangeThis Sat 29-Sep-12 09:30:54

Soontobe, yes, please speak to your GP before declining the flu jab. My friend did that, got flu and because her temperature rose and she was so I'll she went in to premature labour. Her baby developed an infection in hospital and now has weak lungs for life. It does also protect your baby from those strains of flu during the winter.

OctoberOctober Sat 29-Sep-12 10:22:36

I've had the flu jab at 37 weeks, administered by the MW (although I had to specifically ask for it). She said that it also protects newborn for upto 6 months which I didn't think was any bad thing, esp with DS coming home with all sorts from nursery.

Will be badgering surgery on Mon for WC jab, already phoned twice on Fri and got told they might know what they are doing by Wed...

Biggem Sat 29-Sep-12 11:25:02

I'm gonna get it too, I'm 37 weeks so hoping they will let me have it

Clarella Sat 29-Sep-12 12:04:38

It's really quite a major outbreak, detailed info on the hpa website. It's quite a risk not to get it imo, plus the best way to protect both your own newborn and other babies in hospital over the next few months. You'll be passing on immunity antibodies you make in response to the vaccine to your baby.

nannyof3 Sat 29-Sep-12 12:08:21

I know slightly different, but my 3 year old caught this over the summer, she had complications and ended up in a wheelchair for a week because her hips just gave up on her... Very scary stuff !

mummy2benji Sat 29-Sep-12 18:22:14

I'm a GP and also 36 weeks pregnant, and I'm going to ask for the jab on monday. I started mat leave a week ago so I'm no longer in touch with what is happening in GP-land, so I don't know how prepared the surgeries are. I do know that a lot of women ringing up to request the jab will cause chaos and they will have to try to free up a nurse to squeeze in extra vaccination clinics. Hopefully they will be able to get the vaccines done without significant delay, or maybe the midwives will be able to give them in antenatal clinic.

I live in S Wales and we have had a whooping cough outbreak in my practice area which actually began back in April. I've seen patients with it but thankfully not contracted it myself. The infectious period is at the beginning, when they have cold symptoms as well as cough - but it often isn't diagnosed until later, when the cold symptoms settle and the 'whooping' coughing bouts start. Which isn't helpful in terms of trying to avoid people with it - hard to avoid everyone who seems to have a cold. I've seen critically ill babies in hospital with whooping cough and it is serious and potentially life-threatening at that age. So for that reason I am going to have it.

A lot of people think they must be immune to it as they had all their childhood immunisations, but unlike the other vaccines the protection given by the whooping cough jab only lasts for about 4 years. In the past that has protected the important age group - as whooping cough is most severe in little ones. But with the incidence of it on the rise and more of us at risk of contracting it, that subsequently increases the risk of babies who are pre-vaccine getting it.

AliceHurled Sat 29-Sep-12 18:32:31

Mummy2benji can I ask you a question I'm struggling with? I'm 38 plus 2 so outside the timescales already let alone by the time it's available. My understanding is I can have it anyway but the antibodies might not be created in time. I'd rather not have the risk of the vaccine in pregnancy if it's not going to work anyway. Am I right in thinking that if I have it after he's born, I will create the antibodies and can pass them on through breastfeeding? If its not going to work before he's born anyway, I'd much rather do this as then he doesn't have to be exposed to the vaccine itself, but can still get the antibodies. My logic tells me this makes sense but I'm not a doctor.

I get the argument for having it now if you're in the timescales but I'm in limbo land.

TheAngelshavetheOod Sat 29-Sep-12 18:54:14

If you've had whopping cough will you be immune or does that wear off too?

Clarella Sun 30-Sep-12 10:24:30

Alice, I'm not sure baby is necessarily being 'exposed' to the vaccine if you are having it, simply the antibodies you will generate iykwim. (though I'm a bit confused about that bit after all I've learnt through not being immune to slapped cheek and two lots of exposure this pregnancy!) But would be interested to know if I've got that right!

Someone in my antenatal thread has a pharmacist husband who said their info in their pct seemed to indicate those over 38 weeks would be given the jab at the onset of labour so as said above, mum is at least protected but don't know if that is a nationwide thing.

AliceHurled Sun 30-Sep-12 11:42:55

I think it crosses the placenta. That's my understanding but I'm no expert. Dunno.

AliceHurled Sun 30-Sep-12 11:44:26

Thanks for the pharmacist info. I think I've seen both 'up to the onset of labour' and 'at the onset of labour' so am a bit confused

mummy2benji Tue 02-Oct-12 10:47:34

Hi AliceHurled - the vaccine works by causing mum to make antibodies against whooping cough. The antibodies travel across the placenta and give some immunity to baby - the immunity they get only lasts a few months, but by that time they'll be getting their own vaccinations through the childhood immunisation schedule. It can take up to 2 weeks for mum to make the antibodies, so if baby is born earlier than that they may not have the immunity. It is still thought to be beneficial for mums to have the vaccine after 38 weeks though because in making mum immune, she can't contract whooping cough herself and pass it on to baby. I don't honestly know how much immunity is transferred via breastfeeding. I think there is very limited research known about that. I think the immunity that baby may get from mum would be less through BF than if they were still in the womb and got the antibodies across the placenta, but mum may still pass some antibodies to baby through the breast milk. They have been giving the whooping cough vaccine to pregnant women for some time now in the US with no reported problems, and it is not a live vaccine so should be entirely safe in pregnancy. Baby will be getting exactly the same vaccine themselves when they are 2 months old anyway. My jab is booked for tomorrow! x

AliceHurled Tue 02-Oct-12 10:58:33

Thanks. Appreciate you taking the time to explain that. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now