Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

fibroids in second pregnancy

(8 Posts)
sidorek Fri 28-Sep-12 17:04:07

I had not the easiest 1st pregnancy due to massive fibroids. Now when we consider 2nd child, I am terrified that it would happen again - so I am looking for some answers: does anyone, who had problems with fibroids in 1st pregnancy happen not to have them second time round?

LadySybildeChocolate Fri 28-Sep-12 21:32:47

Fibroids don't disappear by themselves, but there are things that the medics can do to help them shrink. You're best off speaking to your GP and going through the options. There's medication available now, as well as surgery.

sidorek Sat 29-Sep-12 09:57:12

Thank you for your answer. I think I was not too specific about my question. I know fibroids do not disappear by themselves. However I was wondering if someone had no problems with them during second pregnancy? (eg. no degeneration, no pain, etc). I am aware that I am just looking for some reassurance... As for me there is no option to operate on them before second pregnancy, as the chance of complications is just too high... they are just simply too big.

LadySybildeChocolate Sat 29-Sep-12 12:05:29

My sister has them as well. She's only had one pregnancy, and her son was delivered at 31 weeks due to the fibroids pushing into her kidneys and causing her blood pressure to go dangerously high. I have read research which suggests that acupuncture and chinese medicine is effective on small to medium sized fibroids, I'm not sure how accurate the research is though. Have you had an ultrasound to check on their size?

sidorek Sat 29-Sep-12 21:47:44

horrible little things, I am sorry that it happened to your sister.
I had several measurements, but none after the pregnancy. Before I was pregnant the biggest one was a size of mango, then went to the size of a pineapple during pregnancy. Then I have another 3. Almost a year after giving birth, I still look 5 months pregnant. But this is not the main issue here: I was advised to have another baby before operating on them. As we would like to have another baby, we would like to try. But I am just scared to think how I am going to manage with pain and a toddler in tow? The doctors did not comment on that, despite me asking... I know they could not really...

LadySybildeChocolate Sat 29-Sep-12 22:55:40

I'd ask about the shrinking medication. They do get bigger during pregnancy due to the hormonal surges, so it's a good idea to get them looked at again now.

idlevice Sat 29-Sep-12 23:19:17

I had a crap pregnancy & delivery with DS1 most likely mainly attributable to the fibroids but no probs with them for DS2 - I think the first pregnancy beat them into submission. I had scans after the first pregnancy & they could see some calcification in the larger fibroid, ie dead bits. But there can be no cast-iron guarantee they will not you grief.

I did find when I was pregnant with DS2 I wasn't so stressed about the viability of the pregnancy & complications due to the fibroids as with DS1's pregnancy, mainly cos of the distraction of having to look after DS1 whilst pregnant again tho!

sidorek Sun 30-Sep-12 17:14:01

thank you! that gives me hopesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now