Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

scan at 39 weeks and found out baby is breech

(9 Posts)
jlx Fri 28-Sep-12 14:47:59

So, I had a scan yesterday due to a second episode of reduced movement.

It turns out the baby is breech and this has been missed by at least 3 different midwifes who have all said head is engaged. Turns out its bum is engaged.

They have said due to me being 39 weeks turning would be less successful so have booked a cs for Tuesday when I will be 40 weeks.

Just wondered if anyone has been through similar as I'm struggling to cope with the massive change in plans. I really don't want to go through the breech birth so cs is the best option I think but so anxious over it.

Will I need to do a birth plan, not sure what I can include in this.
I'm nervous to start labour before cs date as they said as its my second I can try a breech birth it it starts on its own before.

Sorry for rambling.

iwishiwasalittlebitfitter Fri 28-Sep-12 15:17:20

Hi, I have no personal experience but a friend of mine had a similar scenario, she was planning a home birth with no pain killer etc and ended up with a CS because her baby was breached. She was planned for the Monday but broke her waters on the Friday so had to go in and get the CS earlier.

Her 4 months old baby is fine and dandy and although it was not her preferred option, I think she is not thinking about it too much anymore as she is already thinking about having a second one. She said she had lots of support in hospital after the birth.

There is a thread about C section birth plan on here: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/622927-c-section-birth-plan/AllOnOnePage

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

Tamisara Fri 28-Sep-12 15:30:21

At our hospital there isn't even the option for a breech birth - they just automatically give caesareans.

DD1 was breech throughout, then started to alternate with transverse; as I also had polyhydramnios, I was admitted to hospital for a month before, as polyhydramnios & unstable lie = possible cord compression if waters break.

As your baby's bum is engaged, you are safe, as it will block the cord from being compressed.

DD1 was an EMCS, as her heart rate started to dip at 38 weeks. They had hoped that she would turn and be born vaginally (as they were eager to avoid a caesarean).

I was upset, but didn't have to worry about it. She did suffer from respiratory distress - due to the fact that caesarean babies don't have all the 'gunk' squeezed out. I wasn't warned about that, so it was shocking.

DD2 was also breech throughout. They weren't keen on doing another caesarean, and kept pushing me to wait and try for a VBAC (which I didn't want). She died, and I was induced at 37 weeks.... even though she was transverse, and despite having had a caesarean the previous year. My uterus ended up rupturing & i had to have an EMCS & several litres of blood angry

I know it goes against your plans, but honestly, the best laid plans and all that.

Your baby may still turn, but at this late stage it's very unlikely.

A healthy baby is best, and caesareans really aren't all bad. I still EBF DD1, right from her birth smile

headfairy Fri 28-Sep-12 15:36:29

My ds was a breech. None of the mws believed me, they kept telling me they could feel his head etc, but I knew he'd been in the same position since about 30 weeks. Eventually I persuaded them to let me have another scan and he was a footling breech. As I was 38 weeks we tried to turn him but I had a nasty chest infection and had a bit of a panic attack when I couldn't breathe as they were trying to turn him, so they booked me in for a cs a week later.

Really the cs wasn't that bad. Very calm, odd is probably the best way of describing it. Very odd to have hands inside you, but not feel any pain. Lots of pulling and pushing. I do regret that they handed me a cleaned dressed baby, I wish I'd seen him in his newborn state all covered in goo. And I wished I'd said yes when they asked if I wanted the screen down so I could see him being born. For some reason I thought I'd be able to see my own innards. Actually I couldn't see much past my huge boobs grin

Recovery for me was very quick. One teeeeeny tiny infection around my scar - just a little bit of redness really. I had 5 days of antibiotics and it cleared up. Of course ds and I both got thrush after that, but again all sorted with some daktarin and canesten.

Much easier recovering from cs with first baby. Second cs recovery was much much harder because I had no time to rest up and recover. But with ds I did nothing for weeks, it was fab! grin

marriednotdead Fri 28-Sep-12 15:54:12

My DSis was the same as Headfairy but in those days they only did one scan and refused her a second hmm

They finally believed her when the 'head' started producing meconium. At that point they panicked and said they were going to do a Caesarian but she had already started pushing. Dnephew was born bottom first with his feet pointing over his shoulders. It took him 24 hours to unbend- he was L shaped when I met him at 12 hours old grin
Apart from a bit of jaundice, he was healthy.

Dsis had a total of 40 stitches inside and out, and continual gynae problems which may or may not be related.

A caesarean would definitely be preferable to that experience and you have a little bit of time to adjust to the idea unlike the six minutes I had

Good luck thanks

marriednotdead Fri 28-Sep-12 15:56:52

Sorry for the loss of your daughter Tamisara sad

Katiebeau Fri 28-Sep-12 16:01:34

Tamisara. I'm so sorry. That's tragic.

My sis had a CS for breech. Diverted from hypnobirthing. DN is fine and so is she.

jlx Fri 28-Sep-12 19:16:41

Thanks for all your experiences, and sorry for your loss tamisara.

I think I'm so nervous as not had chance to speak to hospital about the procedure yet. Was just told when it was. I'm going back tomorrow so they can take bloods and to sign forms so hopefully will understand a bit more after that. I feel quite angry it has been missed until now too. Would have been a big suprise in labour!

headfairy Sat 29-Sep-12 23:09:28

You're very lucky you did find out before, a friend of mine didn't and her dd nearly died during her birth as her head got stuck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now