Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How did you cope?

(6 Posts)
mildred37 Fri 28-Sep-12 13:30:55

Hi, I'm 7+1 and morning sickness has hit me good and proper over the last week. It started with going off certain foods, but in the last 3 days I've barely been able to eat. I haven't actually been sick, but just thinking about food - any food at all - makes me boak. I've had 1/2 a biscuit and nearly 2 litres of water today because it's all I can manage. My stomach is screaming at me because I'm so hungry; but at the same time whenever I try to eat the bile comes up and I physically can't do it. I've started feeling shaky, headaches and very faint. How did you cope with this, and how can I get past it? I literally cannot stomach anything sad

(p.s. This is my first pregnancy and I know I sound pathetic but I hate feeling ill!)

EddieIzzardIsOrange Fri 28-Sep-12 13:41:44

mildred I'm sorry, its awful when you feel so bad isnt it? I was very sick with DS

Firstly as ironic as it sounds, being hungry might be making you feel more sick so if you can possibly bear it, try and eat something
Even if you're sick again, at least it wont be bile (which is awful to throw up) and your body will have kept even a little of it

Secondly, try and eliminate all other causes so tiredness, dehydration, smells etc

You could also try ginger, boiled sweets, mints, crackers or those travel sickness bands for your wrist, essential oils on a tissue (be careful which ones) etc

Lastly, if you cant cope, phone your midwife/GP and ask what drugs they can give you for it, prevention of sickness is better than needing to be in hospital on a drip so do ask

Bear it mind it usually goes away between 12-16 weeks (I know it seems ages off now but at least its a bit of an end point in mind)

I'm 4 weeks with DC2 now (and its thetiredness thats the killer this time round!) so proof you can get through it and at some point might be foolish to do it again!

Hope you feel better soon and have a healthy lovely little baby

HaveALittleFaith Fri 28-Sep-12 15:03:18

Have you tried ice lollies? When my sickness was at its worst, I could eat within 30 minutes of having an ice lolly. Try light stuff. You might find if you can tolerate water (that often made me sick) you can have drinks with some calories like juice, smoothies, milk, milkshakes.

But I agree, if you're really struggling to get anything down it might be that you need medical attention- you can have anti sickness tablets. You may find you're so dehydrated you need a drip. I think I'd see your GP sooner rather than later but do try ice lollies! They land more gently on the stomach! They give them to patients having chemo but it helps us preggos too!

zigwig Fri 28-Sep-12 15:38:42

Someone on here the other day mentioned protein shakes which I wish I'd thought of when I was at the stage you're at. I couldn't even face the smell of food, none of the usual things helped I'm afraid. At least you're keeping your water down that's the most important. Even that used to make me wretch.

HaveALittleFaith Fri 28-Sep-12 15:49:48

Be careful with protein shakes, a lot of them say not suitable for pregnancy. Check before purchasing!

MoonHare Fri 28-Sep-12 16:20:04

I felt sick 24/7 but never actually threw up in all 3 of my pregnancies from about 5/6 to 14/15 weeks.

What worked best for me was to make sure I ate more or less as soon as I woke - forcing down a rich tea biscuit before getting out of bed worked well. Then try never to let your stomach be empty all day, snack little and often.

Carbs and sugar worked for me. Squares of chocolate, pasta, chips, bread, pastry, that sort of thing. Seems to line the stomach!

Eat even if you feel queasy, the sick feeling usually wears off a short while after eating.

Even if you do manage to keep eating little and often, you will very likely still feel sick at some points during the day. You will get used to this. You will learn to live with it until the wonderful day arrives when you get to lunch time and realise you haven't felt sick that day, then the next day and the next day until you realise it's gone completely and you can start eating more normally again! Until the heartburn and indigestion kick in and you have to cut out various things and mostly consume gaviscon........oh the joys smile

Best wishes with everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now