Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

2nd Pregnancy and feeling emotional about DC1, normal?

(8 Posts)
peanutMD Thu 27-Sep-12 23:17:26

I am 17 Weeks pregnant with DC2 (unplanned but wanted) and I have a DS who is almost 6.5YO.

The last few days I have started becoming irrationally emotional about DS not being an only child anymore and him missing out on things with us and us missing out inn things with him, just silly things like being able to have pj days watching crap movies our playing Lego all day on a Sunday.

The rational side of me knows this is not what will happen and it will all be fine but the other part odd new just gets so upset at the thought.

Has anyone else had this or is it just me?

Wiggy29 Fri 28-Sep-12 09:00:13

I'm 19 weeks with dc2 and ds is 7. I've been feeling even more over-whelmed by love for him at the moment and have to resist smothering him!

I've found that getting all DS's baby stuff out (e.g. little boots, baby book etc) and going through them with him has helped me. He's deciding what he wants to store and what he wants to give to the baby. I think it helps me to appreciate that he's growing and just love the stage he's at now instead of lamenting him growing. Also just been enjoying how much love he has for the bump and can't wait to see what he's like as a big bro.

rahrahrahblah Fri 28-Sep-12 15:08:49

I felt the same way earlier in my pregnancy, but I am now 31 weeks and instead feel excited about meeting dd. Perhaps its the big age gap thing, like you guys wiggy and peanut, I have an only child, a 6 year old ds. We have got used to this intense one on one relationship. I wonder about how different life will be with a small baby. It's been really wonderful this whole having an only child thing, I've really enjoyed it and so has ds I feel. Yesterday we spent the afternoon making shadow puppets, we bake together alot, go out for lunch together. I do worry that those things will all go once dc2 arrives. I also worry about how he will be as a big brother, I think he will be quite jealous.

Celestia Fri 28-Sep-12 15:43:56

Yes! My dd is 5.5 and I'm feeling increasingly anxious that our time together is running out hmm. I'm feeling very protective of her and know what you mean about smothering her!!

My section is booed for next Friday so feeling the pressure to do nice things in our last weekend together .

Orenishii Fri 28-Sep-12 15:57:58

I think this sounds all perfectly normal, and from what I've read on here - it's all OK when the baby arrives. That a new "normal" settles in, you realise you have a bounty of love that is endless, and it all works out smile

I, on the other hand, have been worrying about my PFB - the cat hmm Will she be OK? Will she have enough attention? Will I still be able to give her cuddles if I am having the baby in a sling? What will become of her??

This is NOT normal!

MoonHare Fri 28-Sep-12 16:10:55

Soooo normal!!!

Somebody starts a thread on this about once a month. If it's any consolation I'm having similar feeling re DC2 now that DC3 is on the way!

I'll share some pearls that I've gleaned from MN.

The love doubles, it isn't halved. This is 100% true, even if it takes a little longer to blossom with DC2 than DC1 it's there and just as powerful.

You are giving DS1 a gift. Don't look on a younger sibling as taking away from his current 'only' status. They will (hopefully) share a lifelong relationship and be there to help each other through even after you and DP are no longer around.

The joy and pleasure you will get as they play together and bond as DC2 gets older is so rewarding and there are so many more of these moments than the tiffs between them.

Best wishes with everything.

peanutMD Sat 29-Sep-12 10:23:59

Sorry for not replying, have only just came back to MN.

So glad I'm not the only one going through this and that it is actually normal!

Wiggy - I like the idea of DS helping sort through stuff to keep and contributing to putting plans in place he's itching to meet DC2 so this may help with the looooong wait smile

Rah - glaf to hear that the feelings have began to settle for you and I'm sure your DS will surprise you.

Celestia - wow getting close, hope it all goes well and I'm sure your.DC.will grow to love your cat too grin

Moon - thank you for your advice and I shall certainly take note!

Celestia Sat 29-Sep-12 11:50:15

As part of our 'doing nice things' weekend, we've just been to tesco for a cooked breakfast, one of her favourite things to do grin. Glad to hear it all sounds normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now