Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Morning sickness - ginger and acupressure

(14 Posts)
rainand Thu 27-Sep-12 20:00:38

Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before but thought I'd ask:

1. In terms of ginger, do you know of a real ginger root biscuit that I could buy? Also anyone come across a pure ginger ale?

2. Acupressure - does it work? Is it worth buying? Where I should buy from?

I'm 5-6 weeks and starting feeling sickness in the evening.

Thanks!

Runningblue Thu 27-Sep-12 20:03:35

Posh ginger biscuits tend to feature stem ginger such as borders, duchy originals...
You could buy sugared stem ginger from holland and Barrett, quite nice to eat?

EmptyCrispPackets Thu 27-Sep-12 20:04:43

Vitamin b6 is your friend

RancerDoo Thu 27-Sep-12 20:06:58

I don't know about pure, but Pret a Manger's ginger beer was my morning drink of choice when pregnant.

Acupressure did seem to help me. boots sell some wristbands that might assist and are cheap.

I also found it helped to eat little and often.

Niceupthedance Thu 27-Sep-12 20:09:52

I found ginger and lemon tea quite helpful on some days.

Coops79 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:11:25

Bollocks to ginger and acupuncture; the only sure fire cure is Haribo Tangtastics.

RancerDoo Thu 27-Sep-12 20:39:07

Cola bottles also strangely restorative.

rainand Thu 27-Sep-12 21:13:55

Thanks all, need to get some feeling awful.

Coops76 and Rancerdoo: Are you being serious?

Runningblue Thu 27-Sep-12 21:19:42

It can be a blood sugar- or lack of- thing IME rainand - so a few sweeties can work wonders!
Likewise try to eat before you start feeling icky. Eg a biscuit before you get out of bed in the morning, I found cut reduce the acute icky ness.

RancerDoo Thu 27-Sep-12 21:20:02

Yup. There's something about the plasticky taste that helped!

digerd Thu 27-Sep-12 21:36:15

Ginger in capsule form was very successful in defeating sea sickness, which for me is much worse than morning sickness was. Try it. Good Luck

Fresh mango worked a treat for me. The only problem was the weeks they weren't on special offer in Tesco grin

bumpitybumpbump Fri 28-Sep-12 13:26:30

my acupuncturist said that to get the benefit of ginger you really need to boil it for 5 minutes and drink the gingerwater once cooled (or boil to a concentrate and add to still/sparkling water). And no adding of sugar because unstable blood sugar levels are apparently a cause of nausea (so according to her ginger biscuits won't have the desired effect). Needless to say i simply couldn't be ar*ed to do that so have stuck to Fentimens ginger beer (expensive but delicious - dread to think about sugar content) and having acupuncture once a week. I do think the acupuncture helped but it's not a miracle cure.

I have just eaten 5 milk bottle gummies and 6 red laces and feel remarkably restored (for now!).

The wrist bands work for some, but if the tendons in your wrists are very close together, likely chance is the pressure point won't be specific enough.

Empty Crisp Packets - Does B6 make a big difference if you just take it alone? That's got to be worth a go!

MsElisaDay Fri 28-Sep-12 13:28:41

I found that the lumps of sugary crystallised ginger really helped, like the stuff you'd use in baking. I ate those like they were sweets.
Another vote for Tangfastics, too - AMAZING stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now