Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What should I do??

(8 Posts)
Ellypoo Thu 27-Sep-12 15:32:23

I am due to go to a work event tomorrow, and I know that there is someone there who was off work earlier this week with shingles.

I spoke to my MW who advised me to avoid this person, which is fine.

Question is - how do I get out of this event? I haven't told work about being pg yet (am only 7 - 8 weeks, having a scan on Monday), so how can I avoid it? To make it even harder, I am supposed to be picking up a couple of my colleagues first thing (including my boss) to take us to the coach pick up point - not the end of the world because my other colleague could drive, but I need to give them notice...

scentednappyhag Thu 27-Sep-12 15:33:43

Give one of them a call and say you can't make it due to medical reasons?

Ellypoo Thu 27-Sep-12 15:35:45

Trouble is, it's only a smallish company, and they will ask what the medical reason is. I don't feel ready to tell everyone about the pregnancy yet?

mrsbugsywugsy Thu 27-Sep-12 16:26:49

have you had chicken pox before? if so i don't think you can catch it.

Ellypoo Thu 27-Sep-12 16:31:18

I have had chicken pox before but I called the MW for advice who recommended staying clear. Also, am not going to do anything to risk the baby.
I could go anyway and avoid her, but then I'll just look rude. Really don't know what to do. I'm working at home this afternoon, so can't talk to my boss face to face about it.

itsaruddygame Thu 27-Sep-12 16:48:34

Just phone your boss and tell them. I am an employer and to be honest most people tell me before they are 12 weeks - they just ask that I don't tell anyone. I prefer to know early and can be more supportive with scan/MW appointments and any issues arising. For what its worth I agree with your re: avoiding the shingles person - I would really not risk it.

Ellypoo Thu 27-Sep-12 16:56:14

I have just called my boss and arranged to go to his house when he gets home - I would rather tell him face to face than over the phone, even if he has already guessed. He is a really good, understanding boss, and I'm not scared of telling him, just wanted to wait until after the scan on Monday, but I guess I'd need him to be understanding if it went wrong anyway.

thanks for the advice!!

charlienash25 Thu 27-Sep-12 17:04:42

Hi Elly.

You cant catch shingles from shingles - you can only catch chicken pox from shingles but if you've had this before you are fine.

I was in early stages of pregnancy earlier this year when my DD who is 4 managed to get shingles and her dad (ex partner) refused to have her so I remained off work in isolation with the poor sole. I am now 31 weeks pregnant and everything has been fine (I have a few problems but thats just generally down to me and baby as it was exactly same in my previous pregnancy)

From what i was told, if you do manage to get shingles when pregnant its not harmful to the baby, chicken pox is though as the virus can pass through the placenta but shingles cant.

Also shingles is most likely to be contagious in the 2-3 weeks run up to the person having the rash break out - therefore you should be fine as its been a week since diagnosis.

Its all very confusing :/ In my experience I would say you are fine, but you can only go by what you feel is the right thing to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now