Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Round faces and heartbeat of 150p/min...

(12 Posts)
JennerOSity Thu 27-Sep-12 14:02:49

Just a fun thing...

I am 37 weeks with a bump of unknown gender, so i like to guess what it might be (I don't mind boy or girl) as it is a fun thing to muse over while I wait for baby to arrive.

My midwife reckons a baby heart rate of below 140 suggests it is a boy and that was true of my first baby. My first baby was also an up-front bump which everyone reckoned was a boy and it was.

However, she also reckons that if you have gone fat round in the face that suggests a boy.

So today at my appointment I have a baby whose heartrate is 150 - suggesting a girl, but my face has gone round so that suggests a boy... hmm

What give-away tell-tale 'signs' have you got/had and if you know/knew the gender were the signs spot on?

MsElisaDay Thu 27-Sep-12 14:05:18

According to my 20-week scan I'm having a boy - and he wasn't shy about flashing in between his legs either, so it seems pretty conclusive
However, his heartbeat has always been 150bpm or over, so that doesn't tally.
I haven't gone any rounder in the face either, so it sounds like a lot of garbage to me...

JennerOSity Thu 27-Sep-12 14:13:09

That's interesting - thanks. The jury is still out then. Not so much midwives wisdom as old wives tales then. grin

chezziejo Thu 27-Sep-12 14:19:45

When I had ds I carried all over and looked like a hippo. Also had bright yellow wee which an old wives tale I'm told indicates a boy which was true. Heartbeat was around 130

This time I'm 32 weeks and I'm all baby up front and scan says girl. Heartbeat is around 130 again.

The other old wives tale although not gender related was indigestion indicates a lot of hair and was true of ds.

JennerOSity Thu 27-Sep-12 14:21:54

OOooo - I had no indigestion with ds and he was bald as a coot! grin

Sounds like the heartbeat thing is a total red herring then.

Secondsop Thu 27-Sep-12 14:32:08

I'm having a boy, and his heart rate has always been over 140. I haven't put on any weight in the face though.

celebmum Thu 27-Sep-12 14:37:00

I'm also 37wk with 'a surprise' but I have a DS already and when pregnant with him I CRAVED salty snacks/crisps.. (Boy) same again this time! So I think another boy!

Both times I've carried up front and not put much weight on. I don't know heart rate with DS but midwife said this week 140bpm so....? Boy? grin

Rockchick1984 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:47:15

I craved savoury food with DS which I was told indicates a boy. Also developed a round face although that could have been to do with the 5 stone I gained grin

OodHousekeeping Thu 27-Sep-12 14:56:17

Bump in front with dd1/3 and all round with dd2.

kittykatskumkwat Thu 27-Sep-12 16:50:37

I had no heartburn or indigestion with dd, she had soo much hair!!!!
Another old wives tale grin

terilou87 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:09:32

never really clocked heart rate but i can say when i have been preg with boys (twice) my hair goes really thick and wild. also i only gain baby weight rather. also cravings have been sweet but my bump has been on the large side. when preg with my girls (also 2) i gained weight everywhere i was spotty my bumps were not too big . also same as kittykatskumkwat never had heart burn and all three were borne with full head of black thick hair. currently pg with ds4 (boy) so still to find out. grin

Scroobius Thu 27-Sep-12 20:23:53

I thought the heartbeat thing was only during labour though, maybe that explains it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now