Talk

Advanced search

How should I count baby's movements?

(10 Posts)
RainDancer Thu 27-Sep-12 12:47:28

I am 30 weeks pregnant with my first child and have read lots of conflicting advice about the best way to monitor baby's movements. I am very conscious of the importance of doing so, not least because my best friend's baby was still born, but I have a very busy and challenging job so can't always notice exactly what baby is doing all day. Should I pick a particular time every day when I can be still and count movements over a specific period, or should I really be monitoring all day, every day?

BlueChampagne Thu 27-Sep-12 13:02:29

I simply started when I got to work, put a mark in my desk diary everytime I felt something, and when I got to 10 (I did '5-bar gates) I noted down the time and stopped counting. However, if you're really busy, maybe there's an app or something that might help you keep count. Hope everything goes well for you.

RainDancer Thu 27-Sep-12 14:05:11

Trouble is, I don't have a desk job, or even a job that would allow me to use an app during the day to note movements. I could do it when I got home from work though so perhaps I will just have to start my day in the evening!

cherry219 Thu 27-Sep-12 18:13:02

I have a wrist band I use to count - it's from here: http://www.jacobsadder.co.uk/products.htm and after having been whisked in a couple of times due to perceived reduced movement, it's been a godsend. Hope that helps!

cherry219 Thu 27-Sep-12 18:13:25

Sorry, I'll try that again! www.jacobsadder.co.uk/products.htm

RainDancer Thu 27-Sep-12 21:27:49

Thanks cherry I will get one of those. Can I ask when you count though - do you do it for a specific period each day?

bonzo77 Thu 27-Sep-12 21:40:00

Counting is not enough. Try to look out for patterns. Eg with DS and in my current pg baby moves mostly when I am resting, more so if I lie on my left side. With DS I identified a change over the course of about 3 hours. It probably saved his life. I know that if I have been lying down for half an hour or so and felt nothing then I need to drink something cold and sugary, lie on my left side and pay attention.

FluffyJawsOfDoom Thu 27-Sep-12 21:52:00

My MW advised me to count from the moment I wake up for the following 12 hrs - i.e. 8am to 8pm - and 'sets' of movements count as one movement (i.e. 3 kicks in a row only count once). She said I needed 10 movements in those 12 hours - though I get that it's more what's normal for you than a specific number.

cherry219 Thu 27-Sep-12 22:30:26

Like the pp I count for 12 hours from when I wake up, and if I'm not approaching 10 counts in that time (I count a flurry of movements as one) then I'll try and get things moving by lying down/having a cold drink/something sugary etc.

Most of my movements are in the evening though, so I do bear that in mind...

3rdbump Thu 27-Sep-12 23:55:02

Am 27 weeks, almost 28 and i can recognise a pattern when my baby moves, i know pacific times and whats normal or when he feels quiet. When he does feel quiet i lie down quietly for a few mins and normally feel him move about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now