Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

scan at 39 weeks when don't know sex

(8 Posts)
jlx Wed 26-Sep-12 20:59:19

So, we managed to hold out for a suprise and chose not to find out at the 20 week scan, it was so hard not to ask. But we can't wait to have that moment at the birth.

Fast forward to now I'm 39+2 and have a scan tomorrow due to 2 episodes of reduced movement. Obviously just knowing the baby is ok is the most important but really don't want to get this far to find out.

Has anyone had a scan this late? How obvious were things??? Will say we don't know and don't want to when go in, just worried they will let slip and. Say he or she.

Thanks in advance

ForkForever Wed 26-Sep-12 21:01:29

I had a scan at 41 weeks and the sonographer asked if we knew sex, we said no, and she was very careful not to let it slip and to tell us when to look away smile

Hope it goes well for you tomorrow x

GoldPlatedNineDoors Wed 26-Sep-12 21:02:39

Could you ask them to turn the screen slightly or let you know when they 'go south' so you can look away?

Aspiemum2 Wed 26-Sep-12 21:02:53

Scans at this stage are actually less clear IMO. I had scans every 2 weeks from 30 weeks and found that the 20 week scan is by far the clearest.
Make sure the technician knows at the start that you don't know the sex of the baby and don't want to and you will be fine (if the baby gets referred to as "he" don't worry, all 4 of mine have been and I have 2 of each!

Meglet Wed 26-Sep-12 21:03:57

I had one at 35 weeks once. TBH the baby was such a good size by then the screen was just a blur of shapes and grey, no obvious body outline at all. Nothing like the clear scan you get when they are 20 weeks or so.

ecuse Wed 26-Sep-12 21:04:43

Yep, I had the same, the sonographer made sure I didn't see anything, just make sure you tell her/him beforehand

jlx Wed 26-Sep-12 21:12:02

Thanks everyone you have really put my mind at ease, I feel bad for even thinking about it as its not the most important thing. X

sparklekitty Wed 26-Sep-12 21:30:30

I had one at 36 weeks. We already knew we're having a girl and the sonographer asked if I wanted her to double check and I said yes. She showed me but if she hadn't I wouldn't have had a clue, wasn't until she pointed it all out that I could see.

I would def mention it but I'm sure they'll keep it to themselves if you ask them to. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now