Talk

Advanced search

17wks pregnant, 2nd baby, no bump/movement??

(9 Posts)
leannac Wed 26-Sep-12 14:40:14

Hi all

Looking for reassurance that all is ok & this is just a different pregnancy. Am 17wk3days pregnant with my 2nd baby. On my first (girl) by this stage I was quite big with an obvious bump. This time I am in maternity clothes but def more like fat rather than having any bump at all. And I have been eating loads & loads. I also haven't felt any movement yet & from what I hear 2nd time mums usually feel movement around 16wks.

Just a bit worried. I had 12w scan & all ok then heard heartbeat at 16w with doppler at midwife but can't help worrying why I've no bump. My sister had to have a medical termination at 21wk last year as her baby had some severe form of dwarf syndrome that meant she hadn't grown large enough to have lungs that would ever be able to breathe so I guess I'm a bit paranoid due to that.

Anyone else in same position?

BuntyCollocks Wed 26-Sep-12 14:47:07

Baby may be lying in such a way that you don't have an obvious bump. As to the movement, you may have an anterior placenta this time around. I felt DS at 16 weeks, he had a posterior placenta, and with this pregnancy, DD, I never felt anything until 20 weeks, and then it was intermittent. Now 26 weeks and she's a right wriggler.

sw11mumofone Wed 26-Sep-12 19:45:12

I'm the same. I'm 17+6 with DC2. So far I haven't felt a thing and don't have an obvious bump. I've put on weight but just look a bit fat!! At my 16 week appointment the midwife said they don't listen to the heartbeat then as its not always easy to do and can cause more stress than necessary. However she said she would try for me. She just looked a bit uncertain - said she was picking up something but could have just been movement - she wasn't sure. So that left me feeling really worried. All my pregnancy symptoms have gone so now I'm desperate for my 20 week scan as worried something isn't right!

milk Wed 26-Sep-12 20:04:57

Felt movement:

DS1: 15 weeks
DS2 (current pregnancy): 21 weeks

Barbeasty Thu 27-Sep-12 08:45:23

I felt movement with my first at about 14 weeks with an anterior placenta.

This time it was 18 weeks before I felt even faint movement, with a posterior placenta. At the 20 week scan I could see the baby moving all over the place but couldn't feel a thing. It was at least the 24 week mark before I was feeling much reliably.

If you're really worried call your midwife and they can check. They'd rather check 9 babies which are fine than miss the one in trouble.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 27-Sep-12 10:00:23

I felt movement at 17 weeks with ds1 but not until 22 weeks with ds2 because of the different position of the placenta. Even then at 22 weeks the movements felt very slight and infrequent.

BonaDea Thu 27-Sep-12 13:45:47

You probably won't feel better until you hear this reassurance from a doctor or midwife, so give them a call.

You are not silly to be worried and I'm sure they'll be able to put your mind at rest.

DinosaursOnASpaceship Thu 27-Sep-12 13:50:02

I'm 22 weeks with my 4th baby and only felt movement yesterday properly. I don't have a bump either and was really paranoid until I had my 20 week scan.

I have an anterior placenta so it is masking the babies movements and I'm carrying him in back apparently which is why I'm not showing yet. I just look fat hmm

icravecheese Thu 27-Sep-12 13:57:15

I was at least 23 wks with my 3rd before I felt movement. I too was disconcerted by it as I felt mvmt so early with my 1st two babies.

At my 20wk scan, found out I had an anterior placenta - even though I could see baby on screen doing somersaults at that scan, I couldnt feel a thing!

HTH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now