Talk

Advanced search

What are the signs of uti in pregnancy?

(5 Posts)
wildpoppy Wed 26-Sep-12 09:15:58

What are the signs of a uti in pregnancy? I have a chest infection which has buggered my pelvic floor but as well as leaking when I cough I feel permanently wet and keep feeling desperate for the loo which I know is normal in pregnancy but this feels different. 

Elsqueak Wed 26-Sep-12 09:31:30

The urge to go a lot is a sign. Sometimes accompanied by backache and burning sensation when passing water. if you think you have one it's best to see your midwife/nurse or doctor (depending on who's available soonest for you) and they can test a sample. Usually you get a course of antibiotics to clear it up.

Having said all that, my 2nd pregnancy I've had one uti (am 33wks) and it had no symptoms at all but was picked up during a routine MW visit.

AnneH656 Wed 26-Sep-12 09:58:25

oo i feel like a bit on an expert on this. i am 37 weeks and have had 4. fun fun fun. the first i didnt feel any different and was just picked up in routine test but the rest all started the same way. i got period pain type aches which got worse and then started to get really really tired and spent a day in bed. by the time i got the docs appointment mega infection showed up in my wee.

my doc did eventually send my wee off for full analysis but it seems it was just one of those things. bump being breech apparently really doesnt help as my bladder was mega getting irritated.

didnt want to keep taking courses of antibiotics but the mw and doc assured me that it was safe and only risk would be if the infection got left for months then i would get mega poorly.

hope this helps!

anne xx

wildpoppy Wed 26-Sep-12 10:36:58

Thanks. Think I will go to walk in clinic on way home

AnneH656 Wed 26-Sep-12 18:24:33

hope you got sorted ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now