Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Doc just upped Thyroxine dose. 15 wks pg. feel weird.

(7 Posts)
DontSayWhatSayPardon Tue 25-Sep-12 17:30:42

Just that really. TSH had gone up freon 0.9 at 8 weeks to 4.59 at 13 weeks so consultant at hospital upped my dose from 75 to 125mcg. I've only been on the higher dose for a week but am feeling odd. V tired (although have been due to pregnancy anyway), bit breathless, hot, bit panicky. Not sure if this could be the dose or just pregnancy. I guess my questions are a) do these sound like symptoms of high thyroxine dose? I've never experienced it before, b) could I be experiencing symptoms of that after only a week?, c) if so will they settle down? Or should I call the doc about reducing dose already? Or d) should I just get over myself and have an early night?! :-(. Any help gratefully received!

panicnotanymore Tue 25-Sep-12 18:43:00

That is a big jump - usually they up dose by 50% . Those do sound like typical symptoms of too high a dose. I'd call the consultant to discuss.

I had mine raised by 50% and immediately felt better, less drained, no adverse symptoms.

WelshMoth Tue 25-Sep-12 18:45:12

It does sound like too large an increase OP. Defo query it with your doc.

DontSayWhatSayPardon Tue 25-Sep-12 19:01:45

Thanks ladies. I think I'll see how I feel tomorrow and give her a call. I suppose the fact it's a big increase might mean I do feel a bit weird while adjusting but might even out? I've only been on thyroxine since jan and they increased my dose slowly to start with so this is all new to me. Thanks loads.

thereinmadnesslies Tue 25-Sep-12 19:07:04

Not preg, but when my thyroxine dose was upped by 50mcg I was hotter than usual, had short periods where my heartbeat raced, and just felt generally a bit hyperactive. sadly things went back to normal after a week.

blondieminxwithGOLDandORANGE Tue 25-Sep-12 19:14:59

TSH during pg should be between 0.5 - 2.0 but the thyroxine is normally raised by 25mcg a time. A bigger dose would likely result in feeling warm and poss racing heartbeat - if things haven't settled in a week do go back and discuss.

My TSH shot up to 5.5 while pg with DD but it was brought under control and she is now a lively toddler! smile

Good luck with your pregnancy smile

DontSayWhatSayPardon Wed 26-Sep-12 18:34:17

Thanks all. Feeling a bit more normal today so maybe body is adjusting smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now