Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Have any of you got a BFP and had DTD at the "wrong" time?

(7 Posts)
littlepinkfizz Tue 25-Sep-12 15:36:49

That's what I'd like to know.. They say it only takes once yet people claim to have got BFP after Dtd during AF or totally out of what they thought their fertile time was..

Not that I'm obsessed with ttc... Just wondering and love hearing everyone's stories grin

CakeBump Tue 25-Sep-12 16:52:56

Not exactly that, but I'm absolutely exact on my dates and every gynae and midwife I have seen has calculated that the date of conception must have been x date in April.

Which I find odd, as I was tracking with FertilityFriend and we definitely didn't dtd on that date! confused

Floopy21 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:56:15

It happened to me with DD, was a day or two after AF.

KeithLeMonde Tue 25-Sep-12 17:57:26

Yep. DH was out of the country on the day the MW says we conceived! (and DC is definitely his).

panicnotanymore Tue 25-Sep-12 18:50:27

The day you dtd isn't necessarily the day conception takes place, as firstly sperm can live for several days inside you, and secondly the egg takes its time travelling down to the uterus before implanting.

ShowOfHands Tue 25-Sep-12 18:54:58

As panic says, it's not an exact science. So you could have a period which ends on day 6 and then have sex that night. Sperm could hang around until you ovulate on day 10, factor in time to travel down the fallopian tubes etc.

And also they calculate in the first instance based on lmp, putting conception on day 14 just because that's the average. Which of course isn't accurate for a lot of women. If you have a 35 day cycle and ovulate on day 24, lmp calculation would put you out by a week and a half.

terilou87 Tue 25-Sep-12 18:59:14

agree with panicnotanymore sperm can live for up to 72 hours so the date of conception isn't necessarily the date you have intercourse also the "date" the midwife gives you for conception isn't always correct they work it out as 14 days after first lay of lmp because that is roughly when the average 28 day cycle person ovulates. if like me your cycle is 35 days it would be the third week you ovulate not the second. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now