Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What's the earliest I can have a (private) scan?

(9 Posts)
ledlights Tue 25-Sep-12 13:36:51

Currently 6 weeks pregnant (4 weeks since conception) but many things (previous miscarriage, taking a very long time to conceive, no pregnancy symptoms etc) have me convinced (read: completely paranoid) that I am not pregnant/have already miscarried despite BFP. I want to have a private scan as soon as possible to (hopefully) prove me wrong but what is the earliest I can have it done? I don't even want to start the NHS process before I have seen a heartbeat as can't take another round of appointments if it's all for nothing like last time.

InchyInchy Tue 25-Sep-12 13:39:43

Try Babybond (they do an early viablity scan), they have clinics all around the UK and are reasonably priced.

I've had a few scans with them and I can't recommend them high enough!

SlimJimBra Tue 25-Sep-12 13:43:36

6 weeks pg you'll see a blob of cells, 8 wks you should be able to see the heartbeat as a flicker smile both with dildo-cam. From 10wks it looks vaguely baby shaped and you can have a normal (tummy) scan. [first two were as part of our ivf package, 10wk one because I was paranoid like you!]

NarcolepsyQueen Tue 25-Sep-12 13:46:01

I saw a heartbeat at 6 weeks!

LargeGlassofRed Tue 25-Sep-12 13:50:32

I had a baby bond one at 7 weeks think it was about £70
Found out it was twins, could clearly see two sacks and twin hearts beating smile.
A friend had a one at 7 weeks and found out it was twins, then went back at 12 weeks and found out it was triplets!

LargeGlassofRed Tue 25-Sep-12 13:51:18

Also I had 3 scans at baby bond and the images were much better than the Nhs scanner.

BonaDea Tue 25-Sep-12 14:01:34

I saw a heartbeat at 6+1 and you can sometimes see it as early as 5-ish. So I think it is definitely worth it to put your mind at rest.

Anya1976 Tue 25-Sep-12 14:20:23

I had a scan yesterday and apparently I'm 5.5 weeks and we saw the heartbeat.

minipie Tue 25-Sep-12 14:29:02

I had a scan at about 6+4 and couldn't see heartbeat but scanner wasn't worried, scan at 7+4 showed the heartbeat.

By the way, I expect many GPs would refer you for an early scan on the NHS given your previous miscarriage and anxiety. Or if your local hospital has a walk in EPU, you might be able to walk in for an early scan with no GP referral (just be prepared to wait a while and for those with bleeding etc to go first). I completely understand you don't want to begin the whole NHS process but I think the early scan could be done in isolation ie without referring you for booking appts etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now