Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Moving house - better while pregnant or with new baby?

(23 Posts)
soapnuts Tue 25-Sep-12 06:57:52

Actually it's moving countries too - we've just had it jumped on us that DH's company want to move us either back to UK (we're currently in Asia) or somewhere else. They want us to move "asap" but it's really up to us whether we go sooner or later (up to about when baby will be about 5/7 weeks old. I'm 27 weeks now so I've got about 7 weeks before I can't fly anymore.

I can't decide whether I'm best off going soon and being a bit more settled when the baby arrives (but having to change all my plans re birth etc), or if I stay where I am, knowing I'll be leaving (so no nesting etc) and then moving with a newborn.

What would you do? Is it better just to get on with it and move now or better to keep the plans for the birth etc the same and then have to face moving with a newborn? neither is ideal! think I'm still in shock.

Kaloobear Tue 25-Sep-12 07:00:01

I would definitely move now-I wouldn't want to fly half way round the world with a newborn unless I absolutely had to. You'll be coming into the NHS so your birth plans might have to change but there's nothing dreadful they can change into, and you'll have the choice of a homebirth if you want it.

BabiesNeedInstructions Tue 25-Sep-12 07:10:26

I agree, definitely move before not after. Then you've just got yourselves to worry about. We moved cities when I was 32 weeks so had to rebook into a new hospital etc and all has been fine. NHS is pretty flexible about birth choices.

VintageNancy Tue 25-Sep-12 07:17:50

Definitely before baby arrives - I was only 23 weeks when we moved from UK to US but there's no way I'd have wanted to do it with a newborn.

cupcake78 Tue 25-Sep-12 07:22:06

Yep before baby comes will be massively easier and means you'll have a house and be reasonably settled when it comes. Much better!

emmyloo2 Tue 25-Sep-12 07:24:50

Move before for sure. I moved countries with a three week old and it was a nightmare. Move when you don't have to worry about a baby and getting it into a routine and having it settled etc. Way way easier. If I had my time again I would have definitely have moved home before I had the baby rather than just after.

EarthMotherImNot Tue 25-Sep-12 07:29:06

I've done both! First time I was 36 weeks pregnant and moved into a flat that needed decorated from top to bottom. (who wallpapers roll after roll one on top of the other? 8 layersshock

"2nd time with a 4 week old baby and a 3 year old. Moved to another town not a different country though.

If I had to do it again I'd go for the pregnant move every timesmile

HiHowAreYou Tue 25-Sep-12 07:30:11

Yes I'd say before too. But make sure it won't be an awful stress for you to organise and do everything.

ripsishere Tue 25-Sep-12 07:39:50

I'd go while pregnant and probably before DH. Is he able to sort out the move from Asia back to the UK alone?
Unless you have a house to go back to, start looking at property websites. Much easier too to register a baby in England. We have some issues re DDs registration. It was done at the Embassy and she has had three passports. But something isn't right.

Littlelot Tue 25-Sep-12 08:08:48

I moved from middle east to switzerland at 20 weeks and would recommend moving during pregnancy as it at least gives you a chance to sort out home and find out where to get everything before the baby arrives. Also have found that everyone has been really friendly and we've been given a lovely cot and other bits and pieces. I have found that when you move abroad you do make new friends quickly. Although when we knew I was pregnant we became much more fussy about which country we moved to. Now we are here I am very glad we made the move (also had the option of going back to the uk) and feel very settled in a short space of time.

DeathMetalMum Tue 25-Sep-12 09:09:27

Move now I moved at about 30ish weeks across the pennines in the middle of winter (the one two years ago with all the snow!) It really was fine, we had plenty of time to get the house ready well the important things anyway, and enjoy Christmas in our new home, dd was 10 day late also so gave us a little bit more time to do things.

You really wouldnt want to move with a newborn you will be tired enough already. Any time later you will have to get the baby used to new surroundings.

oreocrumbs Tue 25-Sep-12 09:16:57

I would move while you are pregnant. The only thing that would stop me is is I wanted the baby to be born in a certain country for it's nationality.

But in practical terms move while pregnant it will be so much easier (although not easy IYKWIM).

Nicky1306 Tue 25-Sep-12 09:31:17

Move now! I moved country at 16 weeks with DD1 and this time I will be 29 weeks, moving counties, there's no way I'd want to move with a newborn! X

Rockchick1984 Tue 25-Sep-12 09:35:06

Just to add, with a newborn there's no way I would have been organised enough to go and get passport pics taken, apply for their passport etc within a week or so of the birth (to ensure it arrived in time to move at 5 weeks or so). I would definitely move sooner rather than later! smile

backwardpossom Tue 25-Sep-12 09:59:02

Definitely before. Not just for the reasons stated above, but if you've only got 5-7 weeks after the baby is born, you have no idea what sort of health you are going to be in after the birth. An emergency c-section for example can knock you sideways for weeks. Even a 'simple' birth can really take it out of you. (Although here's hoping you're one of these women who sneeze and out the baby pops!!)

I was in pain for about a couple of months after DS was born following an instrumental delivery.

soapnuts Tue 25-Sep-12 11:19:29

Well that was surprisingly unanimous! I don't mean to drip feed but the things that are holding me back from getting on the first plane and leaving DH to deal with the house are that DS1 is at school here and that I have help (gotta love asia!) here. I do have a place to stay in the UK and I'd have family around but that might not be where we end up and then we'd have to move again.... but that would be when the baby was a few months rather than a few weeks - or it might be where we end up - it's all totally up in the air right now.

Nesting instinct says get on the next plane and get settled for a few months at least but I'm a bit worried that is just the hormones speaking.

Thanks for all the replies - It's all a bit of a shock at the moment and I don't trust myself to think straight.

milkyjo Tue 25-Sep-12 12:02:49

Yep defo whilst pregnant, I did at 37 weeks, it was hard but there is no way I could've done it with a young baby! My birthing pains took 3 months to fade away too.

2blessed Tue 25-Sep-12 13:30:28

I've just moved (at 26 weeks) and although it was a nightmare, I think I would have been a total wreck if I had waited until LO arrived. Good Luck.

MrsJohnDeere Tue 25-Sep-12 13:32:32

While pregnant, for sure!

Strongly recommend not doing it at the same time, as I did with ds1! We moved 2 days after he was born whilst i was still in hospital and he was inSCBU.

Natalietwins Tue 25-Sep-12 15:00:58

I would move befor so you can get settled and ready in your new home for the baby to arrive x

ladymia Tue 25-Sep-12 15:09:59

i am moving countries too but after. it is a nightmare i would have preferred to do it before but it's not possible for us.

i am actually really not looking forward to the move.

definitely WHILE!

terilou87 Tue 25-Sep-12 19:10:50

i have done both but never from abroad. however i have got to say that it is a million times easier to move while preg than when you've had baby. gives you chance to get your house in order before you have baby x

sarahpip Wed 26-Sep-12 05:49:14

Beware delays!! Speaking as someone at 38 weeks and facing possibility of move delays or a solicitors bill if it all falls through, I would say leave it till after birth. We are so busy stressing about house move We havent really been in a relaxed state to be able to enjoy the last few weeks of DP and me
Having said this if you think you can complete before due date go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now