Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Wrong sex at scan?

(24 Posts)
Natnat29 Mon 24-Sep-12 15:31:27

Hi was told at 20 week scan that I'm having a girl, and since then me and OH have brought lots of girlie outfits but was just thinking what if the sonographer was wrong?!
Has anyone been told the wrong sex at the scan? Is this common?!

birdofthenorth Mon 24-Sep-12 15:40:46

It happens. It actually happens more frequently when you've been told it's a girl (could be a shy boy hiding his bits!). Personally I would buy mostly unisex stuff for the first few weeks anyway, in case you go on to have a boy in future. Friends and family will buy heaps of pink stuff as soon as she (probably she!) arrives.

scaevola Mon 24-Sep-12 15:45:09

If they actually and positively saw the labial folds, it's probably right. But it depends on how carefully they were looking and what position the baby was in.

terilou87 Mon 24-Sep-12 15:47:19

they have got it right with all four of my children, 2 boys and 2 girls but as birdofthenorth said it does happen, it happened to my cousin she was told girl and then had a boy after buying loads of pink things. thats why they say its not 100 percent accurate, i had a 4d scan this time round and saw very clearly i am having a boy. maybe you could do the same as you can see for yourself and be certain.

Kveta Mon 24-Sep-12 15:48:47

I was told at 17 weeks I was having a girl. He is currently running around the garden screeching.

(I was told at 20 and 36 weeks that he was a boy, but had 3 weeks of going 'AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!' because I was so convinced it was a boy!)

sparklekitty Mon 24-Sep-12 16:14:06

I was told at 20 weeks I was having a girl. We stuck to buying unisex stuff just in case. Had a growth scan at 36 and she double checked for me, it was very obvious it is a girl, even I could see on the scan! We've gone out and bought some more girly stuff now.

As far as I'm aware it can happen but isn't too common now days.

Dogsmom Mon 24-Sep-12 16:34:23

I've read quite a lot of posts from women who have been told it's a girl but it ended up being a boy, it's easier to get it wrong from girl-boy as they could be in an awkward position and the genitals be tucked away.

We paid for a private gender scan on Saturday (I'm 16 weeks) and they told me she's a girl, the sonographer explained that to be certain they need a shot of the baby from below looking upwards and before they announce it they have to check 3 or 4 times and be certain in their own mind that if it was their baby they'd be confident to buy pink/blue.

She printed off the ''below shot' she took and our girl is sat with her legs straight out and slightly open, the sonographer showed us a copy of a boy and girl and she's definitely a girl.

On my letter for the 20wk scan it says that the sonographer wont specifically check the gender but will, if asked, give their opinion but it's not guaranteed so I assume they wont spend time specifically looking for the below shot and will give an opinion based on the nub theory.

Dinosaurdrip Mon 24-Sep-12 16:48:02

I was told I was having a girl at my 20 week scan, I couldn't quite believe it. I shelled out £80 for a private gender scan where the sonographer said that if my child was born a boy it would not have a penis. I bought my first bit of pink, was amazing (I already have 2 boys). Had a growth scan last week due to gestational diabetes and just asked her to check down there. She is still a girl grin

My step sister was told she was having a girl but had a boy though so it definitely does happen.

SecretCermonials Tue 25-Sep-12 08:54:43

We asked this time (Dc2) and have been told a boy, hope they are right as he has tons of clothes (his brothers mainly) that are all washed and ready for him!

I am reasonably sure they are right as have been told a boy at 3 scans now, have at least another one to go so will keep checking but thought i saw bits myself grin ive read the confusion is normally girl
Being boy due to confusion of cord With penis, im hoping that doesnt work in reverse!!!

StellaAndFries Tue 25-Sep-12 08:57:12

My friend who was pg at the same time I was expecting dd1 was told she was having a boy so had a blue nursery and clothes all ready, when baby arrived it was actually a girl.

We found out for dd's 2,3&4 and all were what we had been told at the 20 week scan.

Natalietwins Tue 25-Sep-12 14:01:33

do you have another scan? If so ask them to check again I am having twin girls and every1has said imagine you had two boys after I have bought everything in pink x2 so at all my scans I have asked them to check still girls thank god !

Pamsie Tue 25-Sep-12 14:06:28

I was told by my gynae that normally, if it is a girl, they can only say for sure after 7 months. However, if they told you it is a boy at the 20weeks scan, then it will pretty much be a boy.

Natnat29 Tue 25-Sep-12 14:25:22

I'm not sure whether to pay for another scan or wait until 32 weeks scan- would they double check during the 32 wk scan does anyone know?

abigboydidit Tue 25-Sep-12 14:30:07

My friend had a little boy and took ages to name him, which really was out of character and she had said for months she had her names picked. Ages after we were out having a bottle glass of wine and she confessed she had been told she was having a girl but had kept it a secret between her and her partner. Thankfully she's not a girly pink person and had bought everything in orange/red/purple etc which are pretty much gender neutral but to say they were shocked when the midwife handed them a gorgeous son is a huuuuge understatement!

abigboydidit Tue 25-Sep-12 14:30:55

That was just under a year ago, in case that matters (ie not ages ago!)

Natalietwins Tue 25-Sep-12 14:41:27

Natnat29 yes they will check at your 32 week scan my last scan was 32weeks and they looked again for me good luck x

Natnat29 Tue 25-Sep-12 14:45:35

Thank u Natalie, I think I'll hold off buying the bedding and curtains for nursery until after the 32 wk scan then- just in case ;)

Acepuppets Tue 25-Sep-12 14:50:14

I was told at 20 weeks that we were having a girl - I had a boy - who is now 3 and coated himself in Sudocrem. eek

Natnat29 Tue 25-Sep-12 14:51:51

Had you spent a fortune getting everything ready for girl Ace?

DinosaursOnASpaceship Tue 25-Sep-12 14:53:25

I was told at 20 weeks I was having a girl - the sonographer even noted on the notes that she had seen the female tract. I had a boy!

Natalietwins Tue 25-Sep-12 14:53:36

Ha ya best to be safe I bought everything after I found out but with twins you get a scan every 4 weeks so I just kept asking at all my scans ha, it was my 32 week scan though we're me and my boyfriend lafed and said ok that's deffo girls it was that clear ha think my boyfriend got a shock haha x

DinosaursOnASpaceship Tue 25-Sep-12 14:54:08

I had bought tons of girls clothes and decorated a girly room too!

Natnat29 Tue 25-Sep-12 15:20:51

Bet that was such a massive shock! Did you have any feelings as to which sex you were having? Ever since I've found out in expecting I have thought it was a girl and confirmed with scan but now we're spending so much money Im just doubting it! I wouldn't mind either way though smile

BooBumpDaddyandMe Sun 30-Sep-12 22:25:01

Our 20 weeks scan gave us a girl whom we duely named Isla & shopped pinkly for.
He's now 18 months old & tucked up soundly asleep, under a blue blanket I hasten to add!!
Honestly it really, really didn't matter at all - the fact that I went through labour and was handed a healthy baby was enough for me. We have a God daughter who did very well from the mistake & the most gorgeous son I could have wished for.
If I was braver or less impatient I would chose not to find out - but I'm not & I guess it's just the chance you take!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now