Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

30 weeks pregnant and no weight gain for a few weeks - should I worry?

(6 Posts)
kalidasa Mon 24-Sep-12 14:51:14

As the title says really. I was gaining steadily at about the right rate but I've noticed that my weight has hit a plateau and hasn't shifted for about three weeks. I am eating OK but not a huge amount because of chronic nausea and heartburn. Baby is fine and very active. I am having growth scans every month and so far the baby has been spot on - presumably as long as he is growing well my weight is not so important? or should I mention it to the midwife?

MsElisaDay Mon 24-Sep-12 14:58:37

The same thing happened to me - I didn't gain anything between weeks 29 and 33, and wondered why.
But in the last two weeks (I'm now 35 weeks) I've gained 4lb, as if the baby's having a growth spurt to make up for it.
I really wouldn't worry.

Greypuddle Mon 24-Sep-12 15:13:59

I'm exactly the same. I'm nearly 30 weeks and I've noticed my weight has stayed the same for about a month. Prior to that my bump suddenly grew bigger almost overnight. My baby's active too, so I'm expecting another sudden growth spurt soon like MsElisa. I'm going to mention it to my midwife this week at my appointment too, but I really don't think there's any reason to worry.

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Mon 24-Sep-12 15:16:11

It is really common. Both pregnancies I gained a lot in first and final trimesters but next to nothing in the middle. Lots of people have roughly that pattern - though not necessarily those weeks.

PragmaticWench Mon 24-Sep-12 15:37:03

I've lost two pounds in the last two weeks (I'm now 30 weeks) but my doctor said it wasn't an issue. He also said that babies can go through growth spurts where they take more from you, and sometimes that means you don't gain weight. I had been concerned as I've only gained four pounds since becoming pregnant, but I was a little chubby to start with so had some extra weight/resources going spare. blush

It's nice you're seeing the right growth at your scans, sounds as though you have a healthy baby!

kalidasa Mon 24-Sep-12 21:12:46

Thanks everyone! I'll stop worrying in that case. I am having the growth scans because I had very severe hyperemesis for the first five months and lost a lot of weight in the first trimester. But good to know that lots of people gain in fits and starts at this stage. I'll just keep doing my best with the eating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now