Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No appointments from 16wks till 28wks? Is this the norm?

(30 Posts)
AtaleOfTwoCities Mon 24-Sep-12 14:17:34

just checked my notes and realised I don't have a 20 or 24 wk appointment. It's a bit of a gap or have others experienced this? Can't remember what I had previously. I'm under consultant care also so thought they might want to see me at least once in between.

terrywoganstrousers Mon 24-Sep-12 14:20:13

I had one at 21 weeks after my 20 week scan- surprised you haven't had this? I then miss out the 24 week one as its only for primips apparently hmm and have one at 28 weeks. 12 weeks between appointments seems a long time, perhaps query this as it may be a mistake?

Londonmrss Mon 24-Sep-12 14:21:17

You should obviously have a scan at 20 weeks. Is it your first baby? I had an appointment at 25 weeks, but my notes say that is for first time mums only. Then the next one, with blood tests etc was 28 weeks. Not sure about consultant care though, but I would imagine they should see you as well.

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Mon 24-Sep-12 14:23:15

I am fairly sure I had this long between appointments with DD2. I did have the scan around 20 weeks though. Are you London - we seem to go quite extreme on appointment spacing.

Rubirosa Mon 24-Sep-12 14:24:51

I think if you have a scan in between those appointments then it is the norm for a second baby.

AtaleOfTwoCities Mon 24-Sep-12 14:26:44

This is not my first. And I remember the midwife I saw at 16 weeks didn't know much about my other conditions etc and was crossing out all the in between appointment options even the one that said see GP. The doctors didn't make that decision they may assume I'm coming in in-between as they see me after antenatal. should've queried it then really.
Just wanted to see if this was the norm as I can't remember my last pregnancy.

AtaleOfTwoCities Mon 24-Sep-12 14:28:01

Yes had scan and yes I'm in London, I thought that may make a difference. D you go to your gp then in between or do people usually just wait till 28weeks?

dietcokeandwine Mon 24-Sep-12 14:32:45

I'm nearly 22 weeks with DC3, had 16wk midwife appointment plus 20 week scan but nothing else now till 28 weeks. I think this is normal for 'low risk' second and subsequent pregnancies...

ZuleikaD Mon 24-Sep-12 14:55:38

Yes, it's the norm, especially as you'd usually have a scan around 20 wks.

terrywoganstrousers Mon 24-Sep-12 14:57:39

But the scan is with a sonographer, not a midwife- ok it checks baby is ok but who is checking on mum?

ThreeWheelsGood Mon 24-Sep-12 14:59:28

Yep, I'm 35 weeks, this was true for me though I also had the usual 20 wk anomaly scan.

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Mon 24-Sep-12 15:03:15

No, you don't normally see the GP in between. You normally just see GP at the start of the pregnancies.

You mention other conditions and seeing the GP - I think perhaps you have been placed on the low risk-subsequent pregnancy track without it being quite right for you? You sound like you might want/need more appointments, in which case just make one with the GP and you can always ask her/him to notify the midwives they need to see you too.

Wuxiapian Mon 24-Sep-12 15:36:24

Tis normal to have longer gaps between MW appointments after 1st child, so mine told me.

CaptainHetty Mon 24-Sep-12 15:39:46

Yes, 'tis normal. Mine was the same - MW told me if I wanted to see anyone in between 16 and 28 weeks to just make another appointment with her or my GP, nobody will mind.

BettyandDon Mon 24-Sep-12 15:39:49

It's normal to have bigger gaps but if you're worried about anything just make a GP appointment. I did this after the 20wk scan as it made no sense to me (sonographer didn't explain a placenta issue) and I'm going again tomorrow as my hips are killing me.

terilou87 Mon 24-Sep-12 15:53:29

i also only had appointments booked for 16 week and 28 week, i think it is the norm now unless you are a high risk pregnancy and need monitoring more. i had to go in between this due to hip problems but i had to call and make the appointment.

BonaDea Mon 24-Sep-12 15:57:34

Presumably you're under consultant care for a reason, though. If so, I would imagine they would want to see you again sooner to check all is ok? I would give them a ring - I know that sometimes it is hard to know you're even asking the question of the right person, but at least if you ask you won't be wondering.

I guess it depends on your condition, but I'm being seen every two weeks by my consultant and am only 12+5

gemdrop84 Mon 24-Sep-12 16:05:20

Yep that's normal for 2nd pregnancies if you are low risk, I am only seeing my midwife again at 28wks same as you, after 16wks check up with her then the 20 wk scan.

elizaregina Mon 24-Sep-12 16:14:34

"No, you don't normally see the GP in between. You normally just see GP at the start of the pregnancies."

Not where I am! I see MW and doc intermittently.

If you are worried at all about gaps you can book yourself into docs to check pee and BP. Unfortunalty = you have to take your own care into your own hands now - no one will mind if you book yourself in with GP for general check up AT ALL.

ZuleikaD Mon 24-Sep-12 16:18:22

And where I am you don't see the GP at all for pregnancy.

I was the same just had my 28 wk appointment. Hadn't been seen since 16 wk. around here you get a 25 week of its first baby only.

Now I will see midwife at 34, 38 wks and gp at 36

DinosaursOnASpaceship Mon 24-Sep-12 16:24:52

I'm almost 22 weeks with ds4.

I had a 16 week appointment
20 week scan - just scan, I didn't see a midwife.
Next appointment is at 24 weeks.

It says I am high risk in my notes though for some reason confused

SquealyB Mon 24-Sep-12 16:32:11

I am in London and I had 16wk midwife appoinment, 20 week scan and then told to make an appointment with GP for 22 weeks then nothing until 28 weeks.

This is my first and I am low risk.....HTH.

Just call the hospital and check - they should be able to tell you.

DonnaDoon Mon 24-Sep-12 16:32:11

10wk booking in, 12wk scan, 16wk Midwife, 20wk scan, 24wk Midwife, 28wk Midwife, 32wk Midwife 36wk, Midwife 38wk, Midwife 40wk Midwife here.

Kafri Mon 24-Sep-12 16:49:53

Hey,
I had 16 week with cons and mw, then 20 wk scan. 25 wk mw and have a 28 wk mw booked. Along with this I have 2 numbers I can call for advice and was also told I could book a mw appt at my gp surgery on a thurs aft if I wanted/needed to be seen in between.
I think I've been looked after really well so far, esp being an anxious first time mum with questions a plenty!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now