Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy support pillows

(10 Posts)
ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Mon 24-Sep-12 12:31:56

Hi.

This is my third pregnancy and I feel I should have some clue by now but had no sleep issues with DS and bought a small cheap & substandard pregnancy pillow with DD and was continually uncomfortable. Just wondered what pregnancy pillows others have found comfortable.

I'm looking at the Dream Genii one (as its shaped) and also a 6ft bolster pillow which is just straight. The bolster pillow is significantly cheaper but I don't want to value price over comfort this time. BUT if It's just as good as the DG pillow then I may as well save some money and put it towards something else.

Hmmm, decisions decisions. All advice gratefully received.

Rockchick1984 Mon 24-Sep-12 13:32:06

I had a dream genie and to be honest, it was a pain as I couldn't roll over properly as you're lay on top of it. Fairly comfortable to sleep with and did ease hip pain slightly but with hindsight I would have gone for something cheaper - ended up having to have an extra pillow between my knees towards the end anyway as it isn't very thick!

NervousAt20 Mon 24-Sep-12 13:42:12

I have a dream genii and I love it, haven't tried any of the others but it's helped me sleep so much better

kellestar Mon 24-Sep-12 19:32:31

The Dream Genii was alright, if I was in a comfy position, however if I wanted to move, roll or just adjust then it was a pita as it's got that fabric strip leading to the smaller pillow.

Recommended my friend to buy a cheap bolster pillow and she is much more comfier as you can fidget it about with you. She modified the pillowcase to have ties on the ends, to tie it into a baby nest when her DD was older.

I'm now expecting DC2 and I kept hold of my dream genii.

lollypopsicle Mon 24-Sep-12 20:01:45

I had a cheaper mothercare maternity pillow which was just a long pillow. I found it unhelpful as time went on as the stuffing moved to either end leaving a big gap in the middle, just where I needed hip support. This time round I plan to invest in something more decent. So I'd say be wary of a cheap pillow.

PinglePongle Mon 24-Sep-12 20:05:35

I use a body pillow to help me sleep on my side and find it quite comfy, they are £9.99 at Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3768789/Trail/searchtext%3EBODY+PILLOW.htm

elfycat Mon 24-Sep-12 20:07:44

I'm a tummy sleeper and I found the most comfortable thing to sleep on was a blow-up mattress ever so slightly under-inflated. Tummy and hips just sank into it. I spent a couple of nights a week on it so DH and I could catch up on sleep.

mummy2benji Mon 24-Sep-12 20:29:05

Actually, by far and away the most comfortable way I've found to sleep is by using those squishy really soft sausage-shaped travel pillows that you only seem to be able to buy at motorway service stations. I used 2 of them when I was pregnant with ds - one tucked slightly under my bump and the other between my knees. They helped support the bump and also helped with the bad sciatica and hip pain I was getting. They are so squashy you can use them any way you want. I bought another this pregnancy and have just been using it tucked under my bump at night. It's comfortable and nice to cuddle! x

Hidethecrisps Mon 24-Sep-12 21:13:45

I tried a dream genii last pregnancy and it was ok if you don't move much in your sleep but I do and was forever trying to reposition it and it was a real mission if you wanted to turn over.

The best thing I've done this pregnancy is take the spare douvet, double it over and sleep on that. You sink into it so you get lots of support around your bump and don't need to reposition it all the time. Had mild spd and this has definitely helped. ....and it's free! Perhaps worth giving this a go before buying the expensive pillows.

phoenixrose314 Tue 25-Sep-12 08:50:21

I've had trouble sleeping due to back issues and the fact that I was always a front sleeper pre-pregnancy - so my hubby bought me a Mum-E pillow from pregnancypillows.co.uk.

I have never slept better, or more comfortably, and of course it can be used as a support for breastfeeding once baby actually arrives. I love it. Only issue is, hubby and I only have a rather small double bed, and the pillow does take up a little over half of it. But its firm, comfortable, and definitely the best night's sleep I've ever had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now