Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to tell what position the baby is in?

(12 Posts)
minipie Mon 24-Sep-12 12:25:59

I've had conversations with pregnant friends where they point to their bump and say "his bum is here" or "his feet are down there".

How do they know? I am 29 weeks and getting regular kicks in one place (just under right hand side of my ribs) so I would guess my baby's feet are there, but is there any way I can tell where the rest of her is?

I am also getting small nudges down in my pelvis, often at the same time as the rib-kicks, so no idea what that means?

Flisspaps Mon 24-Sep-12 12:27:10

The MW told me

elvislives2012 Mon 24-Sep-12 13:13:52

I couldn't figure it out til I was about 34 weeks and I went on what the MW told me

whatsoever Mon 24-Sep-12 13:18:56

MW has been telling me since she started palpating - think that was 26 week appointment?

wkmmum Mon 24-Sep-12 13:21:45

MW told me too. Get lots of pushes and movement low down as well and mw said that was baby's hands/arms xx

flutterbynight Mon 24-Sep-12 14:16:01

I knew from the MW and a scan at 32 weeks. There's also a belly mapping site which looks interesting, though I haven't used it: http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/belly-mapping I'm afraid I can't link properly as I'm on my phone!

PuddleLuscious Mon 24-Sep-12 14:23:31

Ha, I still can't at 37 weeks! I get kicked all over & MW 'thinks' he's breech (classic quote; I'm usually wrong so i'll refer you for a scan)... Tried the baby mapping thing on spinningbabies, but got too confused and gave up in the end. Looking forward to finding out for definite on Thurs though, if only to prove my mw right & increase her success rate.. grin

PuddleLuscious Mon 24-Sep-12 14:24:10

x post! Sorry flutter smile

minipie Mon 24-Sep-12 14:26:49

Ah thanks! Sounds like I need to quiz my midwife next time I see her...!

the spinning babies site looks interesting, thanks.

I am having another scan at 36 weeks so guess I will find out then if not before, the baby's position is usually fairly fixed by then isn't it (?)

Spice17 Mon 24-Sep-12 14:28:39

Am 38 weeks and I feel the bum sticking out under left hand side of ribs all the time (but guess you would only get this later on?)

Also, the way I could tell that the head was down/engaging was that I have a very hiccupy baby and get them down VERY low and can sometimes feel them in my bum! grin

mytime777 Mon 24-Sep-12 14:40:18

Hi
I'm 28 weeks and am worrying that he's not turned yet and is transverse? I'm quite slim so can often feel baby quite a lot and can feel his head / bottom and often little feet. Thing is I feel all the kicks really down low and often he lies along my tummy so my bump goes a funny shape. All images online for 28 weeks show the babies head down and I would have thought if he was I'd have kicks up in my ribs but not had one there.
Does this make sense ?

PuddleLuscious Mon 24-Sep-12 15:18:07

And the pregnancy waddle when head IS engaged.. sadly I'm missing this due to his being breech (TBC) & feel like I've smoked 50 B&Hs due to my crushed lung capacity instead. Oh, the joys!

Minipie- defo quiz her but it'll be lovely to see at the scan if your guesses were correct. I think from what I've heard (google/MW/RL yoda-like friends who have babies) it is pretty fixed from 36 weeks. But if breech can do ECV which is manipulating the baby into a head down position which has a 50/50 success rate (shoot me down if I'm wrong as my memory has the usefulness of a chocolate teapot at the moment) get me! i'm a guru!

Mytime77 - as above, think lots of time to turn! Mine seems to be transverse too- head upper right, bottom lower left with wiggles, stretches, kicks and squirms all over the place. My poor MIL witnessed one of these diagonal stretches the other day & clutched her heart with a "bejezus!". She now thinks i'm carrying the equivalent of the exorcist or likewise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now