Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when did you tell your dcs that they where getting a little brother/sister?

(10 Posts)
ditsydoll Mon 24-Sep-12 12:14:04

Simply that.. how many weeks where you?

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Mon 24-Sep-12 12:58:30

I was 7 weeks. But had seen the heartbeat at an early scan. I wanted them to know so they could understand a bit better why I couldn't do things like bounce on the trampoline or get up off the sofa to make dinner.

Unfortunately DS then told MIL as soon as she walked into the house about 2 days later...she was not impressed to find out this way! She thought we had been keeping it from her which we had and proceeded to have a go at me for the entire afternoon. It was a good visit!

NoTeaForMe Mon 24-Sep-12 13:07:34

I think it depends on how old the other child/ren are. My daughter is nearly 2 and I am 5w+6d with the 2nd. We will hold off telling her for as long as possible and wouldn't tell any child before the 12 week scan personally.

forevergreek Mon 24-Sep-12 13:46:43

Unless a difficult pregnancy then prob not for as long as possible

So 12 weeks if difficult and you want them to understand a little, 20+ if regular

Little ones don't really understand ( under 3 ish) so would wait until bump

bonzo77 Mon 24-Sep-12 14:05:56

I told DS at about 20 weeks. I'm now 25. He's 2.6 and is not that interested generally, though occasionally he says something funny like "baby in mummy's tummy needs to grow like the tomatoes need to grow. Baby still green, not red yet."

bonzo77 Mon 24-Sep-12 14:07:18

Oh, I meant to leave it till much later, but he turned to me one day, pointed at my tummy and said "daddy did that"! Not sure where that came from, but someone must have let something slip, so I thought he ought to get the truth.

Pancakeflipper Mon 24-Sep-12 14:10:08

My then 3 yr old found out when I was 9 weeks pregnant as I had to have several internal scans and he had to come with us - he then went to nursery and told everyone. They all pretended to not know until at 16 weeks I told them.

Princesslovelyboo Mon 24-Sep-12 14:13:03

Teen boo (14) will find out after the 12 week scan, toddly boo (3) will probably be told when there is an obvious bump.

terilou87 Mon 24-Sep-12 16:33:40

mine was around 14 weeks when i started showing. my daughter said mummy why is your belly so big. i said im growing you a little brother or sister. she then said how did it get there!! to this i panicked shes a very smart 4 year old. i replied. i ate it. not so smart mummy, didnt think to be prepared for that question.

MoonHare Mon 24-Sep-12 16:45:12

I think it depends on the age of your children and their ability to understand.

DD1 was 21 months when DD2 was conceived. We waited until after 20 week scan to tell her. 9 months of pregnancy is a VERY long time in a little life, we wanted to be as certain as possible that all was well and to not make her have to wait all the way through before baby arrived. She understood there was a baby in Mummy's tummy that would 'pop out' - her phrase - and be staying to live with us forever.

With DC3 due in 3.5 weeks we told DD1 after 12 week scan, for us we preferred not to say anything any earlier in case of bad news. But this time around she would have spotted my changing shape much sooner so waiting til 20 weeks was out. DD2 was 10 months old when DC3 conceived so she has little concept still of what's happening. We started talking to her specifically about the baby in my tummy just a couple of weeks ago and now she will point and say baby but I don't think she really has any idea of what's about to happen!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now