Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Foam Moses basket mattress - any good?

(5 Posts)
wickedfairy Mon 24-Sep-12 11:32:47

Hi, we have my old moses basket and have used it (with a new mattress) each time for DS and DD. Due in 6 weeks with DC3 and need to get a new mattress again. The place we have used before now does not sell to individuals and won't make me a new one.

As it is an old moses basket, it is massive, so modern mattresses won't fit it. However, have found a foam crib mattress in John Lewis that will almost fit (it just needs the corners chopped off into an oval shape), so it looks like we'll be going for that.

Obviously it is safe for babies as JL are selling it - I was just wondering about the foam being up to lasting 6-7 months, which is how long baby will be in the basket (it's a big moses basket!). The mattresses we have used up until now have been natural material (coir, etc inside).

Does anyone havce any experience - what do you think? Thanks in advance smile

vodkaanddietirnbru Mon 24-Sep-12 11:47:35

I wouldnt go chopping bits off of a mattress - how about somewhere like this who will make a mattress to your specifications.

wickedfairy Mon 24-Sep-12 13:40:15

Thanks, I suppose I shouldn't have considered chopping bits off!

I just don;t want a foam one, maybe because DS and DD had all-natural coir or whatever, I feel they should all have the same thing!

I have just ordered a natural coir one from The Natural Shop - they will make me one to the shape/size of the template I send them - don't know why I didn't just do that!!

Thanks for the advice!

ShabbyChit Mon 24-Sep-12 14:34:30

I agree about not chopping bits off - not very safe!
Have a google - there are loads of companies that can make them to your measurements, in which case you may be able to get the filling you want.

In terms of foam - absolutely fine. All off the shelf moses/crib mattresses from John Lewis, Mothercare, Kiddicare etc are foam interior.

One thing I would recommend though is to regularly rotate and flip the mattress so it gets even wear all over at both ends and sides as you may find the interior will compress a bit in one spot if baby is laid on it in the same position for up to 7 months.
(Obviously this will only be do-able if your moses basket is the same shape end to end)

ShabbyChit Mon 24-Sep-12 14:40:51

Ooops sorry just seen your reply above - that's good that you have had the kind you like made to your sizes!

<note to self....read whole thread before posting reply!>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now