Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Teeth

(8 Posts)
Kafri Sun 23-Sep-12 19:59:24

Hey.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are regarding dental treatment during pg?
I'm currently 27+2 and have awful toothache. I went to the dentinst a month or so ago nd she suggested I try to wait it out til bubs arrives to have work done. I should probably add here that the toothache is from a chipped filling. Bubs is due at Xmas and if today's pain is anything to go by then I don't think I'll get to Xmas.

It's been sore since I chipped the filling which is why I first went to dentist but it was bearable. Now, it's painful to eat on that side and is generally painful for a while after eating anything but today ts been pretty constant pain.

More than anything I'm terrified of harming bubs and certainly don't want the dentist doing ANYTHING that may be harmful.

Please help ladies, I don't know what to do for the best.
X

Nigglenaggle Sun 23-Sep-12 20:07:46

Maybe chat to her again? She may have an alternative. Sounds like she is already keen not to do anything harmful and should be able to give you good advice and explain the ins and outs of the risks.

HowToChangeThis Sun 23-Sep-12 20:54:07

I had a filling a few weeks ago, my dentist said local anaesthetic is fine. Your gums are more likely to bleed in pregnancy but it really wasn't a problem for me. I think x rays arent recommended and root canal work can be a problem due to the bleeding but if they can see the filling they could at least do a minimal drill and patch job and then do a permanent fix after the baby arrives.

kellestar Sun 23-Sep-12 21:15:19

I had a tooth go bad during my last PG, from about 16 weeks, extraction was the soloution, but dentist worried about post op bleeding and possibly opening tgrough to sinus as my gums were very bad. I had it out 2 weeks after DD arrived, utter bliss and healed well. In time for me to enjoy nyd dinner! I was on solpadol for most of my PG as it was horribly painful.

If it's repairing a filling iit might not be too bad as LA is fine in PG. Ask dentist again if they would do the repair.

Kafri Sun 23-Sep-12 21:35:41

Thanks guys, they open at 8 tomorrow so I'm gonna call first thing and ask about my options. If I thought I could seriously get to Xmas without too much of a problem I really would wait but 3 months is a long time to be in daily ongoing pain.
x

Jojoba1986 Sun 23-Sep-12 22:57:49

If you do have to wait any length of time then you can get some temporary filling from boots/a supermarket! I needed a filling while pg & a dentist friend of mine suggested it & then applied it for me! It stayed in for a good few days but then I had to reapply it myself & failed miserably! Might be worth a try if you're in agony!

Natalietwins Sun 23-Sep-12 23:47:34

I had my tooth takin out when I was about 12 weeks because the pain was so bad they said that I couldn't have a filling because they would have to do an X-ray and that could be harmful, so I just said take it out good luck babe x

Kafri Mon 24-Sep-12 16:42:49

Well, deed done.

Just got home from the dentist. She's put a temp dressing in to see if it calms down and I've to go back in a fortnight to have it replaced with something better if it stops hurting and if it doesn't stop I've to call them again and she'll look at my options. Fingers crossed it settles down!!
X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now