Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

worrying about giving birth early after talking to my parents and in laws.

(7 Posts)
MJP1 Sun 23-Sep-12 18:40:53

Hi I am sure this will be answered with a simple everyone is different answer !!!

but I am a tad nervous after a conversation with my Mum earlier today, she reminded me that my sister (Her 1st) was born 6 weeks early and the me (Her 2nd) was born 3 weeks early, and my partner was also born 6 weeks premature as was his older sister. My sister who has 2 kids also had them premature and I am abit worried if it runs in the blood lines, I am 21 weeks with my 1st and am having my 2nd scan on Tuesday so will ask then but just wondered if you wise women may have some ideas, and any suggestions if there is anything I can to to perhaps prevent my Bub's early arrival.

Thanks in advance

rubyslippers Sun 23-Sep-12 18:43:17

It's not hereditary as far as I know

Full term is classed as 38 - 42 weeks anyway

Sometimes there are reasons for prematurity (health etc) but going into labour can be an unknown quantity

Don't worry yourself unduly unless your MW or any medical professional involved in your care thinks its worth a mention

DomesticGoddess31 Sun 23-Sep-12 19:13:28

what rubyslippers said but also wanted to add, even if bubs WAS a few weeks early, he/she will be fine. My Dd was almost 6wks early and the care she received in neonatal was incredible. The extra support I received for bfing was a bonus too, so its not all bad. Also, presumably your family members who were born early are all fine and dandy right? Try not to worry, what will be will be.

BikeRunSki Sun 23-Sep-12 19:23:54

I was also a bit concerned about this, as I was seven weeks early, and my sister was 2 weeks early. My mother's mother's children were all early too (not sure how much, but weeks rather than days). My sister's DS was 2 weeks early. Withvher DD she did start early labour at 32 weeks, but hospital slowed it down and stopped it (no idea how this works ).

I was told by all medical personelle that there is no inherited tendency for early labour. DS was then 10 days early and DD a week early - so I was late by my family's standards! I am not convinced that it is entirely not hereditary.

MJP1 Sun 23-Sep-12 19:34:25

Aw thanks lovelies Its always nice to hear from sensible lovely mums xxx Thank You xx

loveschocolate Sun 23-Sep-12 19:49:29

I asked my midwife about this as all the babies in my maternal line have been born early. Her response was that it's multifactorial - nutrition, lifestyle and in days before scans it was more difficult to be accurate with dates.

themammy73 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:18:33

I was born 7 weeks early and my sister was 2 weeks early. Both my sister's children were at least 2/3 weeks early. I'm now having DC4; my other children have all been within 2/3 days of their due dates! :-) I'm guessing it's not hereditary in my case anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now