Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flu jag - are you going to get it?

(51 Posts)
wickedfairy Sun 23-Sep-12 18:40:48

Hi,

I am 34 weeks with DC3 and have been offered the seasonal flu jag at my midwife appointment tomorrow - I have no idea whether to take it or not! It was never offered with my first pregnancy and I refused it with my second as I was under 12 weeks. So, I am not sure what to do.....

What will you do please? Should I take it? I cannot make a decision... TIA

OodHousekeeping Sun 23-Sep-12 18:50:00

I'm going to get it. Pregnancy makes me rough enough without flu. I should be entitled normally due to asthma but can't usually get it confused

bonzo77 Sun 23-Sep-12 19:04:15

It's a jab. Not a jag. grin and yes, I'll get it. I have one every year and I could do without flu or its repercussions with a toddler, a job and a baby due in jan.

CakeBump Sun 23-Sep-12 19:05:35

Nope. Never heard of anyone being offered it, but tbf I do live (virtually) on the moon.

I've never had flu in my entire life. Can't imagine why I'd bother tbh.

Tattoopixie Sun 23-Sep-12 19:15:09

I was worried when I was first offered it but after discussing the benefits vs risks of not having it with my midwife and doctor I am going to have it. I am 21 weeks pregnant so will be heavily pregnant over Winter and don't want to risk getting flu.

wkmmum Sun 23-Sep-12 19:19:55

I'll be having it. Always have it anyway because of health problems so when I got the letter inviting me to have it the other day I rang to ask if it was ok to have it whilst pregnant. They said that they always offer it to pregnant women.

Due in nov and could do without flu (which is likely to make my health problems worse) and either being pregnant or looking after a newborn xx

WutheringTights Sun 23-Sep-12 19:44:08

My midwife recommended that I get it. I've never had a flu jab and I've never had flu but she said that you're immune system is depressed and flu can be more horrible when you're pregnant. I'm going to get it, although only because work pays for someone to come and do it in the office so it seems a waste not to.

spandau1980 Sun 23-Sep-12 19:50:10

Had flu twice and it s crippling so im having a jab ill be 21 weeks when i have it sat x

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sun 23-Sep-12 19:51:01

I'm having it. In fact, I was a bit eager and asked for it a few weeks ago before they arrived in stock blush I have to arrange it week after next.

DeathMetalMum Sun 23-Sep-12 20:04:33

I'm having it, had it when I was pg with dd 1 the same time two years ago and no problems or side effects. In fact last time the gp's surgery rushed me through as I was having it slightly late due to moving and they were beginning to run out.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 23-Sep-12 20:06:02

Yes. Having it next week, when I'll be 9 weeks.

At 34 weeks I really would. By the time you're likely to catch flu (Dec/Jan) you'll have a newborn and trying to look after one with flu would be near impossible. I've had flu twice - last year and 11 years ago - and it was just dreadful. Could barely get out of bed and walk to the loo for the first few days, and felt wretched for 6-8 weeks.

NervousAt20 Sun 23-Sep-12 20:14:51

I'm 34w and I've had mine this week

Paradisefound Sun 23-Sep-12 20:22:36

I am 10 weeks and will have it sometime in October. I' ve had the jab before. I've also had the flu and it took several months to fully recover.

HowToChangeThis Sun 23-Sep-12 20:27:12

Yes, absolutely. A friend of mine got flu when we were both expecting, after refusing the jab, her temperature climbed and she went in to premature labour, her baby was born at 35 weeks and then acquired an infection in hospital. He's ok but has weak lungs for life.

I was 12 weeks behind her and got my jab that week and even though DH got ill (maybe not badly enough for it to be full blown flu) I was fine.

MoonHare Sun 23-Sep-12 20:49:02

I'm 36+1 and am having my flu jab at the first available opportunity, which unfortunately is not for 3 another weeks at my GPs surgery for some reason.

I had the jab during my last pregnancy almost 2 years ago, which was the first time pregnant women were included in the list of 'at risk' people who could benefit from a free jab. I experienced no ill effects at all.

My mw told me this week that not only does the jab protect me from seasonal flu but it will also protect the baby once born. Good news all round.

I have had flu twice in my life and it is a horrible and debilitating illness, there's no way I want to be that ill with a new born, or trying to look after my other 2 children and no way I want my baby to face an unnecessary risk either.

HaveALittleFaith Sun 23-Sep-12 21:08:36

Oh heck yes. I've had flu twice. It's vile. I was ill for 3 months after the second bout - diagnosed with post viral fatigue. Being pregnant is hard enough without having flu as well. I get it every year. A sore arm for a couple of days is nothing compared to flu but I don't think you get it unless you've had flu!

Jakeyblueblue Sun 23-Sep-12 21:27:26

I had it when I was about 10 weeks pregnant, also had the swine flu jab. smile

AThingInYourLife Sun 23-Sep-12 21:31:09

Take it!

I had it last winter and I didn't get so much a mild sniffle, it was fab.

I'm a bit sad not to be pregnant this year so I'll have to rely on my own poxy immune system grin

(disclaimer: I have a good immune system I am very grateful for. But still I get a cold most winters.)

mosschops30 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:32:18

Yes please have it. I had it when i was 37 weeks, that was when it was rife in 2009.
I used to work in critical care and sadly have seen too many pg women admitted with swine flu. Not all with good outcomes sad

AThingInYourLife Sun 23-Sep-12 21:34:36

Oh yes, also it is very important to avoid the 'flu, especially swine 'flu which is very, very serious.

When DH had swine 'flu in 09 I was terrified he might die. He was barely sentient for a fortnight, it was awful.

Am asthmatic so usually have it anyway, as any cold/ flu I get always turns into a chest infection. Will be having it when I'm around 14 weeks, but the worst time for me for getting I'll is after Christmas, or when it gets really cold at end of jan/feb. last time I was pregnant the swine flu jab was knocking about. Now that one I steered well clear of....hmm

Also the pregnancy notes this time recommend it, isn't there a section in there specifically on the flu jab?

elizaregina Sun 23-Sep-12 22:10:31

yes definalty getting mine this saturday - but I had to ask my surgery I wasnt told about it by them or MW.

Esp for more heavily pregnant ladies- lungs are squashed anyway would be horrid to get flu AND have squashed up lungs.

Getting DD done too - she is 5, they are going to roll out national flu vaccine for under fives but due to logistis wont be here for some time.

elizaregina Sun 23-Sep-12 22:11:43

"Yes please have it. I had it when i was 37 weeks, that was when it was rife in 2009.
I used to work in critical care and sadly have seen too many pg women admitted with swine flu. Not all with good outcomes sad"

Oh my goodness.....

elizaregina Sun 23-Sep-12 22:12:47

Moss

I dont suppose you know if they had had the jab at all? Its just its only 75% reliant anyway???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now