Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can i ask?

(11 Posts)
FirstTimeMumma Sun 23-Sep-12 17:31:03

On my way to the hospital to get checked over due to headaches and baby being a bit quiet, so will just be the usual ctg and blood pressure checks etc. Was just wondering, can i ask them to check my cervix and sweep if its favourable? Currently 40+4 and would like bubs to get a move on as im dying to meet her!!!

justabigdisco Sun 23-Sep-12 17:31:43

You can always ask! Good luck! smile

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sun 23-Sep-12 18:35:02

Yes you can ask. Worst they can say is no!

Hope all is well.

milk Sun 23-Sep-12 19:59:38

Definitely ask for a sweep smile

Good luck grin

ALittleBitOfMagic Sun 23-Sep-12 20:03:45

I would ask they probably will do it good lucksmile

FirstTimeMumma Sun 23-Sep-12 22:33:36

Thanks for the replies ladies! Midwife couldn't get me out fast enough and refused to have a look at my cervix even though triage was really quiet!!! Not a happy bunny. Have midwife on wed and she will give me a sweep then but was hoping for things to start sooner and that could have been my second sweep if nothing happend! Grrr. All this waiting is horriblesad

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sun 23-Sep-12 22:41:03

If it makes you feel better, I was desperate for DC1 to arrive. A week after he was born I tried to make a deal with God saying I would be pregnant forever if I could just put him back on there grin

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sun 23-Sep-12 22:41:57

*in

I'm now 36 weeks with DC2 and very relaxed about when they decide to arrive.

GoldShip Sun 23-Sep-12 22:42:11

Why would she not look? I bloody hate midwives only doing stuff they want to do. I hope this changes soon!

FirstTimeMumma Mon 24-Sep-12 16:38:38

Yes slightly, it makes me feel bettergrin sort f resigned myself to induction now. There is NO sign of her coming in the next week. Basically, when i went in i had 'just caught her having a miniute to herself and something to eat' so she put me in a room and told me shed be back when shed finished. When she did come back she had a quick feel at my tummy, blood pressure and urine checks an stuck me on the ctg an left me for 30 mins. When she came back i asked if she would have a look and her face told me the answer before she even refused, there was no need to check me apparently and they have much more things they could be doing with their time... She then left to fill in my notes, and when she came back handed them to my mum and told her that we were free to leave and everything is perfect(i was in the loo) and then i was ushered out of the place. Im too hormonal for this kind of treatment!!!

IcouldstillbeJoseph Mon 24-Sep-12 16:44:24

The hospital your MW works at probably has guidelines surrounding membrane sweeps. Where I work, they are not performed until term +7. so unless it us clinically indicated (maternal request is not a clinical indicator) then it would be unsafe to be prodding a cervix. Every vaginal examination carries a risk of introducing ascending infection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now