Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should I start making contact with Doulas?

(11 Posts)
LittleBairn Sun 23-Sep-12 14:30:04

When is it best to contact doulas? I was thinking after the 12 week scan but there aren't many doulas in my area so I'm worried that I might leave it too late.

PollyIndia Sun 23-Sep-12 17:39:13

I did at about 15 weeks I guess. I saw a few before deciding who to go with. Better to decide sooner rather than later as people get booked up.

charlottehere Sun 23-Sep-12 17:44:47

I did it at about 10 weeks and then comitted after the 12 week scan.

LittleBairn Sun 23-Sep-12 18:22:16

Thank you both, Will do it sooner rather than later.
charlotte that's a good idea get in contact and speak to a few of them before the 12 weeks so I'm organised for once the OK is given.

lolo99 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:22:35

Hello- would you mind saying how much a doula costs? I have no birthing partner and thinking it would be a good idea if not too costly.

I am in greater London.

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 23-Sep-12 21:23:55

I seem to have left it too late, so I'ld say provisionally as soon as you know you want one and know your due date, I think they will take provisional bookings until you confirm after your scan

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 23-Sep-12 21:24:36

lolo around here its £400 for an experienced one £200 for a newish one with a bit of experience and free for training or newly trained one building up experience

LittleBairn Sun 23-Sep-12 22:39:04

Lolo I think it's dependant where you live in my area they seem to be around £500 on average. The reason I want a doula is because DH wont be attending the birth so I'll have no birth partner.

charlottehere Mon 24-Sep-12 09:39:39

Lolo. Mine is £550. may be irrelevant but doula uk have a hardship fund if you wish to access a doula but on a low income.

lolo99 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:02:40

thank you everyone- I won't qualify for low income (wish I could as will be single parent and really struggling ) but have heard they charge about £1000 in London which I could never dream of affording. Just wondered if there are any London ladies on here using Doulas to confirm that price or not.

fuckbadger Thu 27-Sep-12 21:08:29

I think it varies a lot depending on experience and additional training, some are qualified in aromatherapy or reflexology for example and charge a bit more. My doula charged £350 and I would have happily paid double that, her support was fantastic! If money is an issue you could look at trainee doulas, they can charge a maximum of £200 but often just work for expenses as they need to attend births in order to become fully qualified. I'm on my iphone so can't do links but if you go to the doula UK site theres loads of information on there. I hope you both manage to find a good doula, I have a very supportive dh but still wouldn't consider giving birth without one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now